Lancet not getting enough blood.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Togfather

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
My doctor gave me a TrueYou Metrix kit, with a TrueDraw lancet holder, but I cannot get enough blood for a test, so I am wasting test strips, sometimes 5 at one go. This is very frustrating for me. I have tried all of the suggestions in another thread (hot drink, warm hands, massage finger, hold downwards, drum fingers, etc. but nothing works. I even bought a USB hand warmer, but still not enough blood. Does anyone know of a different lancet holder that will go deeper? I remember that in the hospital, whatever they used worked first time, every time. I have just started on daily insulin (type2 diabetes), so it is important for me to get a glucose reading at least once a day, and before driving.

My doctor gave me a TrueYou Metrix kit, with a TrueDraw lancet holder, but I cannot get enough blood for a test, so I am wasting test strips, sometimes 5 at one go. This is very frustrating for me. I have tried all of the suggestions in another thread (hot drink, warm hands, massage finger, hold downwards, drum fingers, etc. but nothing works. I even bought a USB hand warmer, but still not enough blood. Does anyone know of a different lancet holder that will go deeper? I remember that in the hospital, whatever they used worked first time, every time. I have just started on daily insulin (type2 diabetes), so it is important for me to get a glucose reading at least once a day, and before driving.
I don't know anything about this kind of pricker but can you alter the depth that it goes in?

I don't know anything about this kind of pricker but can you alter the depth that it goes in?
Yes, but 5 is the deepest and I think I need a deeper one, as the deepest setting does not give enough blood.

I just use the lancet in my hand and give a short stab, don't bother with any lancing device, prick just to the side of the pad. Put you thumb against the pad with slight pressure and give a quick stab. Hold your hand below your heart and make sure they are warm.

I have just looked at the YouTube video and there just looks to be too much opportunity for the lancet to be not fitted properly into the device. My experience with those type of devices is they can malfunction until you get the method sorted out.
I used to use similar with students and 1 out of 2 times they didn't work properly, either no blood or blood everywhere.
We abandoned them for single use lancets mainly for safety reasons but much less failures.

Last edited:
Have you tried warming your hands first? This brings you blood closer to the surface so you don't need to stab as deep

I have just looked at the YouTube video and there just looks to be too much opportunity for the lancet to be not fitted properly into the device. My experience with those type of devices is they can malfunction until you get the method sorted out.
I used to use similar with students and 1 out of 2 times they didn't work properly, either no blood or blood everywhere.
Looks OK to me on the video, but I've not used the device.

(The only one I've used is the Accu-Chek FastClix which has always seemed easy to use. It sounds like you're being prescribed the kit, and I doubt there'd be any problems changing the prescription to the lancets (which are in drums) though you might have to buy the lancet device.)

I bought my own Accu- Chek Fast Clix it is the best lancing device I have used. I bought from Boots they often have the Drums on offer.

In the hospital they probably used single use retractable (i.e. safety) lancets. if you don't feel comfortable trying @Leadinglights way of just jabbing with the lancet without the device, you could ask GP about trying a box of single use lancets, if all the tips on where to jab, warming etc aren't helping?

The issue may be more to do with the test strips. Only reason I say this is that I tried the 4sure glucose meter but had to give up because the capillary action of the test strip was too weak to draw the blood sample.

I have raynards and this is the Bain of my life, my nurse is try to get a libre approved as I get blackouts too so if not responsive and person doesn’t know me then getting blood is near impossible.

I have raynards and this is the Bain of my life, my nurse is try to get a libre approved as I get blackouts too so if not responsive and person doesn’t know me then getting blood is near impossible.
I too have Raynaud’s. But I have had diabetes for nearly 20 years: before Libre and CGMs were readily available so I have had to come up with techniques for getting blood out of my fingers.
The key things have been warm hands and correct depth of prickage.

Even with Libre, I strongly recommend finding an approach that works as Libre can fail or be inaccurate so needs checking.

I too have Raynaud’s. But I have had diabetes for nearly 20 years: before Libre and CGMs were readily available so I have had to come up with techniques for getting blood out of my fingers.
The key things have been warm hands and correct depth of prickage.

Even with Libre, I strongly recommend finding an approach that works as Libre can fail or be inaccurate so needs checking.
Hi as explained I am only going to be using libre due to the new blackouts that last up to three hours as now on insulin and obviously my husband needs to be able to tell fast if it’s hypo or a blackout and it takes significant time to squeeze blood out of my fingers. I will still be cross checking when conscious.

Personally I have found Contour Next One strips to be very accurate and I have never had a problem with errors due to insufficient blood. The main downside is that they are expensive. For me the accuracy and the lack of errors are worth the expense. Others may have a different view though, which I fully appreciate. I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back