LADA

Status
Not open for further replies.

JueB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
2 1/2 years ago I was diagnosed diabetic after having COVID . I had the usual symptoms ,thirst , blurred vision and dramatic weight loss . I have never been overweight and I lost over a stone in a matter of months . My GP was amazing and sent me for all kinds of tests/scans to rule out anything else.
I was originally put on 3 metformin a day which was increased to 4 after 3months .My Hba1c was coming in around 54 and I was being told it should be lower so 6 months later they added Linoglipton to my medication. That has had no effect at all and my Hba1c remaining the same . After starting the initial medication all the symptoms I was experiencing returned back to normal apart from my weight . I don’t seen to be able to put weight on at all , although I am not losing anymore weight either .
I saw my GP recently and he has repeated all my blood tests as he wants to rule out LADA. C peptide has come back normal as well as islet cell antibody but GADA has come back abnormal at 11.7, normal range being 0-5.For a LADA diagnosis would all 3 tests have to be abnormal ?
I have an appointment next week to discuss the results.

Interpreting those results seems to be a little more art than science from what I can tell when listening to the eminent discussions around the table when I was one of the lay members of the NICE guideline development group for T1 in adults.

Each marker has weight, but nothing seems to conclusive (either positively or negatively) on its own. They have to be viewed and balanced as clues alongside the clinical presentation.

From my completely medically unqualified perspective, I can certainly imagine these point to a LADA diagnosis.

• Weight loss before diagnosis seems more connected to autoimmune types of diabetes than T2.
  • You weren’t carrying lots of extra weight at diagnosis to cause insulin resistance
  • You are now showing fairly strongly positive for beta-cell destroying GAD antibodies
  • Oral meds (linogliptin) are not having much positive effect
  • Your symptoms suggest high levels of blood glucose
cPeptide will have a reference range, and I’m not qualified to comment even if you know the numbers - but the thirst and blurry vision suggest BGs above 10, which in turn suggests that your body / insulin production isn’t able to keep your levels within range.

Hope you get some clarity soon so that you can be put on a more suitable treatment plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back