Lada thyriod issues and excessive weight gain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty12?

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi all was diagnosed with lada and Graves’ disease three years ago now I was 9st 8lbs at diagnosis now we are hitting 12 stones and I’m mortified I’m so careful with my diet and carb I have only 8inits of tresiba in the morning my blood sugars on a morning are around 8/9 and the line in my libre is straight and stays like that until any food passes my lipsthen all hell breaks loose 1 piece of toast can take it from 6 to 15 any advise should be greatful cos I’m so unhappy with this weight gain I won’t go out the house

I find prebolusing 15 min, then taking a 20 min walk when my bs start to ho up after eating helps keeps spikes in range. If you don't want to go out i find hoovering bring bs down if done with bolus insulin in the body

Hi all was diagnosed with lada and Graves’ disease three years ago now I was 9st 8lbs at diagnosis now we are hitting 12 stones and I’m mortified I’m so careful with my diet and carb I have only 8inits of tresiba in the morning my blood sugars on a morning are around 8/9 and the line in my libre is straight and stays like that until any food passes my lipsthen all hell breaks loose 1 piece of toast can take it from 6 to 15 any advise should be greatful cos I’m so unhappy with this weight gain I won’t go out the house
Is the tresiba the only insulin you are taking, if so that could explain the increase in blood glucose when you have food as it is a basal insulin.

Sorry to hear you have been having problems with your levels @Rusty12?

Yes if you are only taking Tresiba, you should talk to your Dr about adding a mealtime ‘bolus’ insulin, and how to adjust the doses at each meal to match the carbohydrate content in your food with ‘carb counting’.

LADA is usually treated as a subset of T1, and you would not commonly get a newly diagnosed T1 given only basal (background) insulin, as by the time people are diagnosed they have usually lost much of their natural insulin production which might have dealt with the carbs in food.

Is your Graves causing you hypothyroid or overactive thyroid?

Yes if you are only taking Tresiba, you should talk to your Dr about adding a mealtime ‘bolus’ insulin, and how to adjust the doses at each meal to match the carbohydrate content in your food with ‘carb counting’.

LADA is usually treated as a subset of T1, and you would not commonly get a newly diagnosed T1 given only basal (background) insulin, as by the time people are diagnosed they have usually lost much of their natural insulin production which might have dealt with the carbs in food.

Graves is auto-immune and hyperthyroid - over active. It often leads to weightloss, very fast heart rate and other undesirable stuff.

@Rusty12? - I won't comment on your LADA, but would ask if your Graves is being treated, or has been treated in the past?

Graves is auto-immune and hyperthyroid - over active. It often leads to weightloss, very fast heart rate and other undesirable stuff.

I wasn’t sure about Graves, but mostly see hypothyroid on the forum. The resource I looked up suggested it could be either (which is why I asked) 🙂

What is Graves’ disease?​

Graves’ disease is an autoimmune disorder that can cause hyperthyroidism, or overactive thyroid.​

It varies sometimes over active sometimes under active weird I know I’ve not long had radio iodine treatment to try and correct this issue I was having fiasp but because of
My over and under problem It was so inconsistent and causing lows they took me off it also they have tried metformin but same has happened if my blood sugar is high frequently will this cause weight gain ?

@Rusty12? - I won't comment on your LADA, but would ask if your Graves is being treated, or has been treated in the past?
Yes I did two years on carbmizole but didn’t work then I had block and replace for six months lasted 8 weeks before I relapsed and in feb I had radio iodine I’m just waiting now to see if this has worked

Yes I did two years on carbmizole but didn’t work then I had block and replace for six months lasted 8 weeks before I relapsed and in feb I had radio iodine I’m just waiting now to see if this has worked
As ever, the NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries are very helpful! According to them:

Graves' disease causes hyperthyroidism-- your thyroid starts pumping out far too much thyroid hormone-- which among other things is likely to cause unintentional weight loss.

Carbimazole is a drug used to try to decrease the amount of thyroid hormone your thyroid produces, and this can sometimes succeed in putting Graves' disease into remission.

If this doesn't work-- you will be given radioactive iodine treatment. This kills off thyroid cells. "Most people with Graves' disease become euthyroid and then hypothyroid within six weeks to six months after completing radioiodine treatment." And then: "If the person develops hypothyroidism after treatment ... levothyroxine (LT4) replacement therapy should be started." (https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/hyperthyroidism/management/management/ )

So-- a lot of your thyroid cells were killed off in February, and that has made you hypothyroid-- and hypothyroidism causes weight gain. Your doctors will soon start giving you thyroid-hormone replacement therapy, and then you will get back to your normal weight.

I'm very concerned when you say you're so unhappy with the weight gain that you won't go out of the house! You should speak to your thyroid doctors as soon as possible, so they can get you started with the replacement therapy. I'm sure once you do, you will feel much much better. Wishing you all the best!

Gosh, you've been through the mill. I do hope this latest intervention has been successful for you.

As ever, the NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries are very helpful! According to them:

Graves' disease causes hyperthyroidism-- your thyroid starts pumping out far too much thyroid hormone-- which among other things is likely to cause unintentional weight loss.

Carbimazole is a drug used to try to decrease the amount of thyroid hormone your thyroid produces, and this can sometimes succeed in putting Graves' disease into remission.

If this doesn't work-- you will be given radioactive iodine treatment. This kills off thyroid cells. "Most people with Graves' disease become euthyroid and then hypothyroid within six weeks to six months after completing radioiodine treatment." And then: "If the person develops hypothyroidism after treatment ... levothyroxine (LT4) replacement therapy should be started." (https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/hyperthyroidism/management/management/ )

So-- a lot of your thyroid cells were killed off in February, and that has made you hypothyroid-- and hypothyroidism causes weight gain. Your doctors will soon start giving you thyroid-hormone replacement therapy, and then you will get back to your normal weight.

I'm very concerned when you say you're so unhappy with the weight gain that you won't go out of the house! You should speak to your thyroid doctors as soon as possible, so they can get you started with the replacement therapy. I'm sure once you do, you will feel much much better. Wishing you all the best!
Thank you I’ll know the 4th may

I had bloods at the end of March and my thyroid levels and gone up not down so consultant has left me another month had bloods this week I’ll find out Thursday the outcome

I had bloods at the end of March and my thyroid levels and gone up not down so consultant has left me another month had bloods this week I’ll find out Thursday the outcome
That's excellent! Not much longer to wait, and then you will know what's going on-- and your consultant will know what's going on-- and she or he will sort things out.

Once your thyroid treatment is sorted and settled down, your diabetes team will be able to help you get your T1 treatment sorted and settled down. It is common for people with Graves' disease also to have T1D, so your team will know how to deal with them together.

So, don't worry-- I know, easier said than done!! But this difficult phase will be over soon. Be kind to yourself in the meantime! And do let us know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back