Lactulose affecting blood glucose levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorinda

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Have read studies saying lactulose doesn't affect blood sugar but it seems to be doing so for me. What have others found?
Dorinda

Have read studies saying lactulose doesn't affect blood sugar but it seems to be doing so for me. What have others found?
Dorinda
I would think it likely that it would affect blood glucose as it is a synthetic sugar solution consisting of galactose and fructose so it is a carbohydrate.
It does say it may not be suitable for some diabetics.

If you are having problems with constipation I can recommend a mixture of psyllium husk and chia seeds. Both are excellent sources of soluble fibre and chia seeds are also a bit of a super food when it comes to Omega 3 Fatty Acids. I put about 10mls of each in a glass of water flavoured with whatever you like which is low carb, give it a good stir, leave for a few mins, stir again and drink it down and then rinse the glass out with some more water and down that as well. Works a treat for me without involving any synthesized chemicals. The soluble fibre is also beneficial with reducing cholesterol I believe and generally good for gut health.

Lactulose is an osmotic constipation reliever. It is not absorbed from the gut , but acts in the colon to re absorb water from the colonic wall to soften the bowel motions. Yes, it is a complex sugar, but as it’s not broken down by the gut or any of your colonic bacteria to produce simpler sugars. It cannot be broken down by human enzyme, so stays in the gut.

I would think it likely that it would affect blood glucose as it is a synthetic sugar solution consisting of galactose and fructose so it is a carbohydrate.
It does say it may not be suitable for some diabetics.
See my response above, it is not broken down by bacteria in the gut. If it were, it wouldn’t work as a laxative. But then, that’s obvious.

See my response above, it is not broken down by bacteria in the gut. If it were, it wouldn’t work as a laxative. But then, that’s obvious.
Thanks for that explanation, easy to misinterpret Google.

I take Lactulose (15ml twice a day) to mitigate my constipation and it's effects on my newly developed inguinal hernia. I'd been taking, and still do, Psyllium Husk and Chia seeds to mitigate it before seeking help as they weren't effective enough. Anyway, I was a bit wary about taking what appeared to be a sugar and found this research article https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8192256/
It's quite scientifically wordy but the bottom line is they tested T2 diabetics taking 20 and 30g doses of Lactulose found that it did not have any adverse effect on their blood sugar levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back