Lactose free - Oatly

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I am doing a month of lactose free to see if this will settle gut problem.

Our first choice for a replacement to milk was Oatly. This tasted fine on cereal and I found the tea wasn’t too bad, even though I found the different colour strange. However my glucose levels which normally just d9 a blip in the mornings with my low carb cereal, went bonkers!! Tried again with earlier prebolus and carbs checked carefully rather than by eye. But spike (15.6! rather than my blip). It only occurred to me today that I had got rid of porridge as this always made me spike, so why wouldn’t Oatly!! Logic had vanished for a couple of days.

Next is soya milk, which I have tried before and not liked, but now I need to find something I shall give it a good go, and if the tea tastes awful I shall go for herbal ones.

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I find KoKo milk (unsweetened one) great for drinking on its own, on cereal or drinks. I also find it great with porridge. Sorry you found porridge an issue. I use large oat porridge, which doesn't seem to spike me, while some of the other individual package porridge's did.

https://www.kokodairyfree.com

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thanks Neil, that is on my list to try if the soya doesn’t work.
Just supping a cuppa andI think this will be bearable.
The test will be tomorrow morning with my low carb cereal.

Kaylz

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I used unsweetened almond milk for my porridge and coffee's (I don't do tea) so I didn't try any others xx

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Koko is my favourite too. I use both the fresh one and the long life. They both taste fine, and are particularly nice on cereal. Not too many carbs either.

Spozkins

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Yea out milks are probably the nicest and most versatile or the plant milks, and I find if you add some insulin to your normal blous to account for hot drinks etc. through the day it's not usually a problem.

Some plants have sugars added so yiu just need to check this. Rice milk is tasty, but very high in carbs too. So far I'd say almond is probably the easiest.

Jade

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I’m going dairy free for a bit to settle digestive system too and made own oat milk. 2 tablespoons of oats and pint of boiled water and leave to soak, when cool put in fridge overnight. Stir well before Straining off liquid for hot drink. I use a small metal tea strainer, and used oats and some liquid for porridge. Much cheaper, I use a bit of sugar for flavour, could use sweetener. But was low this morning.

Perfect10

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Aria Lactofree milk is the closest to normal milk. Almond milk is ok in most things but I am not keen on it in tea.