Lack of sugary drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucyr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
i was looking online trying to find a sugary drink for the weekend, and wow it’s hard to find one now.

I’ll be playing a brass instrument for 2hrs outside without a break to check BG, which is longer than I usually do without checking. Also think it may still be hot, I’ll be playing outside, in a park in London. So i prefer carbs to be liquid to be easily/discreetly consumed and not to be chewing sweets in my bars rest.

Own brand sports drink 21g carb per 500ml. Lucozade sport 32g carb per 500ml or pure orange 17g per 200ml seem the options.

Think I might stick to the trusty OJ, it’s the most carby thing available now unless any other suggestions on what would work in this scenario!

Yup! They have gradually halved the ‘strength‘ of most hypo treatment drinks. And raised the prices to boot!

Lucozade used to be 60g of carbs in a regular 380ml bottle, but the new formulation (full of artificial sweeteners giving it a sort of sherberty effect) is more like 30g for the same size bottle. :(

The pack sizes went from 6 bottles to 4 bottles, and the price of the pack stayed the same.

Not so long ago 10.5p / 100ml felt expensive. Today in my local supermarket the cheapest full sugar drink I could find was 15p / 100ml.

Thank goodness inflation is only 10%. Can you imagine the price rises if it was 10.5% o_O 🙄 :rofl: 😱

Could you concoct your own?
There are still Soda Streams around - I have been meaning to visit our local Asda to get a gas bottle refill - lime or lemon juice would be refreshing and it could be dosed with glucose or sucrose quite accurately now we have access to electronic weighing scales.

Not sure how I’d make my own drink, I don’t have a soda stream, and not sure sugar in cold water would dissolve?

Could you use small cans of coke? The 150ml ones? There about 12 carbs each

They tend to be harder to find these days though

I have regular sugary Coke (ie real Coke). That hasn’t been messed up. Even carbier is Appletiser, so I use mini cans of that too (approx 17g carbs per mini can). The Lift Glucoshots are pricier but small and each contain 15g carbs. They’re usually on offer 3 for 2 or similar.

Could you use small cans of coke? The 150ml ones? There about 12 carbs each

They tend to be harder to find these days though
Theyre good for hypos but looking more for something I can leave open and quickly have a bit of when I feel I’m heading towards a low rather than to treat a hypo. Don’t intend on having hypos during it if i can help it, but also don’t want bees or something in my open mini can of Coke :rofl:

Lucozade sport or diluted orange juice (hate it neat) in a water bottle are feeling the only contenders!

Also, just thought - some of the premium cordial/squashes have sugar in. You’d have to check but I remember a few were proper squashes like the old days with no sweeteners.

There used to be some cordials called Rocks which were about 44% sugar, available in orange or blackcurrant flavours, you could mix it to whatever strength you like (also great for hypos as you only need a mouthful or two of it neat!). Have a look and see if those are still there. A warning though, once opened you need to keep it in the fridge or it will go mouldy within a few days!

Also, just thought - some of the premium cordial/squashes have sugar in. You’d have to check but I remember a few were proper squashes like the old days with no sweeteners.

Just had a quick look. The Bottle Green ones have sugar, as do the Polish syrups (Lowicz), and Rose’s Lime Cordial does too.

Just had a quick look. The Bottle Green ones have sugar, as do the Polish syrups (Lowicz), and Rose’s Lime Cordial does too.
Thanks, I’ll see if either the rocks or those sugary squashes are available when I shop tomorrow, and try some of that in my water bottle for a bit of a sugar top up. (Will stick a gel in my music folder in case of emergencies too!)

Another option might be Pip organic cloudy apple juice, which works for me - cartons are 180ml and 10.3g carbs per 100ml so one carton is just about right for a hypo, but not too sweet.

They are not cheap, but they don't need to be kept in the fridge and don't contain anything other than apple juice.

Thankyou for all your ideas. Just doing the Tesco list so will see what I can pick up.

Have also got an Apple Watch my sister gave me working (the screen wasnt responding so had assumed broken, turned out it had a screen protector that just needed taking off and cleaning!). Also managed to get hold of a libre sensor after the dexcom failed yesterday, so between the two I’ll see my bg on my watch if things work!

Honestly it’s more the knowing I’m prepared reducing anxiety than an actual likelihood of hypos

Not sure how I’d make my own drink, I don’t have a soda stream, and not sure sugar in cold water would dissolve?
The technology is available, and convenient too.
Sugar dissolves very easily in cold water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back