Labour to remove commissioning powers from GPs for vulnerable patients

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Exclusive CCG leaders will lose the responsibility for planning the care of the most vulnerable patients if the Labour Party wins the next general election, in a move that GP leaders have said will lead to further fragmentation of the health service.

Under plans signed off by the party’s policy-making body, health and wellbeing boards - run by local authorities - would be responsible for formulating plans for commissioning services for ‘people with long-term conditions, disability and frailty’, which CCGs will have a ‘duty’ to abide by.

But GP leaders warned that such plans would lead to further fragmentation of the health service, and would risk more services being removed from GPs.

The proposals are set to become Labour policy, and they represent a watered down version of ideas originally mooted this year by shadow health secretary Andy Burnham to hand more commissioning powers to health and wellbeing boards, which are made up of representatives from CCGs and local authorities.

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/20007326.article#.U842dPldWAg

(free registration required)

Err, I don't want the bloody local Council deciding what healthcare I need thank you very much. Or where I ought to get it (considering I live in one Council area and have all my healthcare in another)

Err, I don't want the bloody local Council deciding what healthcare I need thank you very much. Or where I ought to get it (considering I live in one Council area and have all my healthcare in another)

Yes, it does rather presuppose that we can trust councillors to do a good job...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back