Labour seeks summit to find A&E 'fix'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Labour has called on the government to hold an urgent summit on how to alleviate pressure on A&E services in English hospitals.

Shadow health secretary Andy Burnham said local government, the emergency services and other NHS professionals needed to agree co-ordinated action.

Figures show the NHS has missed its four-hour A&E waiting time target.

In a letter to Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt, Mr Burnham said there had been a "failure" to anticipate the situation.

Mr Burnham suggested the problem was linked to a loss of social care capacity this winter.

"You will know that I have repeatedly warned throughout this Parliament that severe cuts to social care could end up dragging down the NHS," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30705689

What I never understood (and still don't) is why they cut so many walk-in centres, surely they were ideal for people who couldn't get a GP appointment at short notice or out of hours, and for a number of other things :confused: They had to be cheaper than A&Es to run...🙄

There are two walk-in centres (or Urgent Care Centres to use the official title) that I know of near me; one is at Guy's, and the nearest bus stop is half a mile away so getting there is not feasible for me; the other is at St. Thomas'. and shares its triage system with A&E, so there's little or no difference from just attending A&E anyway, which rather defeats the purpose of an UCC. 🙄

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back