Knee replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denise62

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi has any type 1 diabetics had a full knee replacement? Just been told I have to have one and I’m terrified. Mostly worried about how it will affect my blood sugar. I have to have an epidural so have to stay awake, wanting to no how they control your blood sugars?

I haven’t had a knee replacement @Denise62 but I’d assume they’d use an insulin/glucose drip if it was a long procedure. So, kind of like a sliding scale, where they test and adjust as needed.

Ok Thankyou, that’s put my mind at rest a bit.

They’ll keep a close eye on you @Denise62 I’ve had drips in labour before and the nurses were really on the ball, adjusting to keep my levels ok. They have procedures to follow and will have dealt with a number of people on insulin before.

I hope the op goes smoothly and you’re up and about on your lovely new knee soon 🙂

They’ll keep a close eye on you @Denise62 I’ve had drips in labour before and the nurses were really on the ball, adjusting to keep my levels ok. They have procedures to follow and will have dealt with a number of people on insulin before.

I hope the op goes smoothly and you’re up and about on your lovely new knee soon 🙂
Haven’t got a date yet but just trying to find as much information as I can to try and calm me down. That’s a relief not having to think about my sugar going all over the place It’ll just be nice to be able to walk without pain, I no it’ll be hard work and lots of physio but it will be worth it.Thankyou

Make friends with the anaesthetist! - he's the one who'll be controlling all that up your head end of the table whilst the surgeon and theatre nurses are doing their thing the other side of the green screen that prevents you seeing your innards. Were you having a general, not only do they send you to sleep, keep you asleep, alive and thriving throughout, they're also the ones who wake you up again after!

Daughter's MIL has had both knees and both hips done under Local, and said they were all 'Peculiar - but OK!'

Make friends with the anaesthetist! - he's the one who'll be controlling all that up your head end of the table whilst the surgeon and theatre nurses are doing their thing the other side of the green screen that prevents you seeing your innards. Were you having a general, not only do they send you to sleep, keep you asleep, alive and thriving throughout, they're also the ones who wake you up again after!

Daughter's MIL has had both knees and both hips done under Local, and said they were all 'Peculiar - but OK!'
Hi I’m having an epidural so have to stay awake as long as they control my blood sugar it’ll take the stress off me. Peculiar? Thankyou

They knocked me out for my ruptured patellar tendon repair but it surprised me that a friend who had had a knee replacement was doing stairs and driving in six weeks but I am still not there yet after 5 months. Yes, lots of physio.
I hope yours goes well when it actually happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back