Kiwi fruit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulfate

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
After watching Michael Mosley on TV he suggested using Kiwi fruit x 2 to help with constipation. I was given a diabetic diet sheet by a nurse at my surgery and Kiwi is on the Amber list so eat in moderation is this OK for prediabetics? Also I noticed tinned plum tomatoes is on the green eat freely list? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Maybe because people are more likely to overeat kiwi fruit than tinned tomatoes @Sulfate Do you test your blood sugar? Why not try them and see? Are you drinking enough water and eating enough fibre?

After watching Michael Mosley on TV he suggested using Kiwi fruit x 2 to help with constipation. I was given a diabetic diet sheet by a nurse at my surgery and Kiwi is on the Amber list so eat in moderation is this OK for prediabetics? Also I noticed tinned plum tomatoes is on the green eat freely list? Any advice appreciated. Thanks
Kiwi fruit have about the same carbs as fresh figs about 5g carbs each. I have not heard of kiwi as helpful for constipation but figs are supposed to help
I suspect your diet sheet given by your surgery is not doing you many favours as the NHS advice is often too high in carbs for many to tolerate and still reduce blood glucose. As you are in the 'at risk' range some modest changes are probably all that is needed.
Have you got the Carbs and Cals book or app as that is a really useful resource to check out carbs of various foods and decide which is best value for carbs.

Kiwi fruit have about the same carbs as fresh figs about 5g carbs each. I have not heard of kiwi as helpful for constipation but figs are supposed to help
I watched the programme. You had to eat the skin of the kiwi as well as the flesh, I imagine that does contain a lot of fibre. It didn’t appeal, they always look so hairy!

I suspect your diet sheet given by your surgery is not doing you many favours as the NHS advice is often too high in carbs for many to tolerate and still reduce blood glucose. As you are in the 'at risk' range some modest changes are probably all that is needed.
Have you got the Carbs and Cals book or app as that is a really useful resource to check out carbs of various foods and decide which is best value for carbs.
I have the Nutracheck app on my phone which is brilliant and I log everything I eat. I did a blood test a couple of hours after having a kiwi and it's been about 6.3 but I didn't check before I ate it. Maybe figs are worth a try. I'm on iron for restless legs syndrome so it causes constipation:(

I watched the programme. You had to eat the skin of the kiwi as well as the flesh, I imagine that does contain a lot of fibre. It didn’t appeal, they always look so hairy!
Yes I eat the skin too! It's OK sliced

Maybe because people are more likely to overeat kiwi fruit than tinned tomatoes @Sulfate Do you test your blood sugar? Why not try them and see? Are you drinking enough water and eating enough fibre?
Its because I'm on iron tablets for restless legs syndrome so it causes constipation so I thought kiwi would be better than laxitives

Its because I'm on iron tablets for restless legs syndrome so it causes constipation so I thought kiwi would be better than laxitives
I am allergic to kiwi fruit, it is the same allergen that affect people with a latex allergy which I have a mild form.
My other half finds a low dose of Lactulose very effective but I believe Fibogel is also quite effective.

I did not see but I suspect I would not be able to eat the skin, I can't tolerate a peach skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back