Kinetic Blood Glucose Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I have just been diagnosed type two in the past week and I have purchased the Kinetic blood glucose monitor. After setting the unit up I have taken a sample of blood which came back on the kinetic monitor of 10.2 mmol/l note sample taken three hours after food breakfast toast with boiled egg with no snacking or food in between can anyone advise is 10.2 mmol/l a good or bad reading. Any comments would be appreciated

Thanks

It isn't dangerously high but it is certainly higher than you would want it to be.
Testing immediately before a meal and then 2 hours afterwards is the testing strategy which is tried and tested here and eventually you would want your 2 hour post meal reading to be no higher than 8.5, but levels will usually peak between 1 and 2 hours so after that 2 hour point your would hope/expect for levels to drop back down into range (4-7)
Since your 3 hour post meal reading is 10.2 then it is likely to have been higher at the 2 hour post meal point. However, you should never assume anything from a single reading or a one time pair of readings because so many other things can affect BG levels. What we recommend is to follow the testing strategy suggested, record readings in a food diary along with an idea of the carb content of the meal and then look for trends rather than individual results as it is possible to get the odd rogue reading for a variety of reasons, but you will soon get an indication from your data of foods which cause you the most BG upheaval and need to be reduced or avoided.
If your overall levels are high then it will take time weeks or months for levels to come down into range and in that interim period, you are looking for a rise in BG of no more than 2-3 mmols as a result of that meal..... So if your before reading was 9.7 and your 2hr post meal reading was 13.6 and that happens at least twice with the same meal, you ate too many carbs and need to reduce portion size of the carb rich foods (usually bread, potatoes pasta rice breakfast cereals etc) and add in a lower carb food which might be higher in fibre like veggies or protein like meat/fish, or fat like cheese, eggs etc. These things will bulk out the meal and help to keep you satisfied and prevent you feeling hungry, so it is not necessarily about eating less, but more about eating the right things to give you energy which won't impact your BG levels. Carbs are the easiest form of fuel for the body but it breaks them down very quickly compared to proteins and fats which take hours to start releasing energy and can then release energy for many hours afterwards whereas the carbs have released by two hours and gone. This may be why many people have developed a need to snack between meals, because they eat high carb meals like toast or cereal for breakfast, get a BG spike afterwards and then their levels start to drop and their body senses that as needing a top up and so they want a biscuit or snack at 10 o'clock to push their glucose levels back up...
If I have an omelette for breakfast, maybe with a salad and cheese coleslaw, I often don't need anything to eat until the evening. Full fat Greek yoghurt with a few berries will keep me going until lunchtime but sometimes all day, especially if I have double cream in my coffee instead of milk.... cream has much less carbs than milk. Now that I follow a low carb, higher fat way of eating, I eat much less and I don't feel hungry and best of all, I don't get those gnawing cravings I used to regularly suffer..... and my cholesterol is reducing despite eating lots more cheese and cream and eggs and fatty meat and I am fitter than I have been for years.

Hi there @Greenman - may I point you to "Jennifer's advice" which is very helpful on the subject of testing BGs in a structured way so as not to waste strips (which are expensive). See https://www.everydayupsanddowns.co.uk/p/newly-diagnosed-read-jennifers-advice.html To that I'd add a test immediately before you eat. It's not so much about the actual number, but about how much the food you have eaten has raised your BG. Having said that, to answer your original question, no 10.2 is not a good number. You really need to try to stay between 4 and 8, but of course that's not always possible, particularly when you are newly diagnosed.

Edited to add that I was typing whilst @rebrascorer posted, so for any duplication I apologise.

Last edited:
It isn't dangerously high but it is certainly higher than you would want it to be.
Testing immediately before a meal and then 2 hours afterwards is the testing strategy which is tried and tested here and eventually you would want your 2 hour post meal reading to be no higher than 8.5, but levels will usually peak between 1 and 2 hours so after that 2 hour point your would hope/expect for levels to drop back down into range (4-7)
Since your 3 hour post meal reading is 10.2 then it is likely to have been higher at the 2 hour post meal point. However, you should never assume anything from a single reading or a one time pair of readings because so many other things can affect BG levels. What we recommend is to follow the testing strategy suggested, record readings in a food diary along with an idea of the carb content of the meal and then look for trends rather than individual results as it is possible to get the odd rogue reading for a variety of reasons, but you will soon get an indication from your data of foods which cause you the most BG upheaval and need to be reduced or avoided.
If your overall levels are high then it will take time weeks or months for levels to come down into range and in that interim period, you are looking for a rise in BG of no more than 2-3 mmols as a result of that meal..... So if your before reading was 9.7 and your 2hr post meal reading was 13.6 and that happens at least twice with the same meal, you ate too many carbs and need to reduce portion size of the carb rich foods (usually bread, potatoes pasta rice breakfast cereals etc) and add in a lower carb food which might be higher in fibre like veggies or protein like meat/fish, or fat like cheese, eggs etc. These things will bulk out the meal and help to keep you satisfied and prevent you feeling hungry, so it is not necessarily about eating less, but more about eating the right things to give you energy which won't impact your BG levels. Carbs are the easiest form of fuel for the body but it breaks them down very quickly compared to proteins and fats which take hours to start releasing energy and can then release energy for many hours afterwards whereas the carbs have released by two hours and gone. This may be why many people have developed a need to snack between meals, because they eat high carb meals like toast or cereal for breakfast, get a BG spike afterwards and then their levels start to drop and their body senses that as needing a top up and so they want a biscuit or snack at 10 o'clock to push their glucose levels back up...
If I have an omelette for breakfast, maybe with a salad and cheese coleslaw, I often don't need anything to eat until the evening. Full fat Greek yoghurt with a few berries will keep me going until lunchtime but sometimes all day, especially if I have double cream in my coffee instead of milk.... cream has much less carbs than milk. Now that I follow a low carb, higher fat way of eating, I eat much less and I don't feel hungry and best of all, I don't get those gnawing cravings I used to regularly suffer..... and my cholesterol is reducing despite eating lots more cheese and cream and eggs and fatty meat and I am fitter than I have been for years.

Thank you for your feedback very much appreciated, I’ll pay closer attention to the carbs intake and timing for the readings
Hi there @Greenman - may I point you to "Jennifer's advice" which is very helpful on the subject of testing BGs in a structured way so as not to waste strips (which are expensive). See https://www.everydayupsanddowns.co.uk/p/newly-diagnosed-read-jennifers-advice.html To that I'd add a test immediately before you eat. It's not so much about the actual number, but about how much the food you have eaten has raised your BG. Having said that, to answer your original question, no 10.2 is not a good number. You really need to try to stay between 4 and 8, but of course that's not always possible, particularly when you are newly diagnosed.

Edited to add that I was typing whilst @rebrascorer posted, so for any duplication I apologise.
Thank you for response I have just read Jennifer advice article and will give a try. Your feedback and support is very much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back