Kids as young as 12 get nicotine patches on the NHS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
SCHOOLKIDS as young as TWELVE are being given nicotine patches on the NHS - without their parents' knowledge.
Nurses hand them out to the pre-teens at fortnightly visits to schools.
Shocked mum, Danielle Northcott, 39, spoke of her astonishment that parents of pupils had not been told of the initiative.
Her daughter Amaris, 13, goes to Woodlands School in Takely End, Essex, where patches are distributed.
Danielle said: ?Woodlands is a good school and even though I didn?t know the nicotine patches were available I would rather her have that than a cigarette in her mouth.
?As parents I do think we should have been consulted on it and the school should have been clear about it.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4760502/Kids-12-get-nicotine-patches-on-the-NHS.html

I have a very poor view of nicotene patches, and especially for children 😱 When I tried them I was smoking around 20-30 cigarettes a day, but the 'starter' level patch was way too strong for me. It gave me very broken sleep, racing heartrate, vivid, powerful dreams and nightmares as well as feeling nauseous and lacking in concentration. As I moved down to lower strength patches, I simply found myself going back to smoking to supplement my need for nicotene - the lower-strenght the patch, the more cigarettes I smoked! The patches simply kept me addicted to nicotene, which is the precise opposite of what you want once you have plucked up the resolve to break the addiction! Useless! Same with the gum!!! Rubbish, expensive, and I would have thought dangerous for children :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back