Kidneys, protein and blood pressure question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparkle

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello, I have type 2, diet controlled and my yearly check up showed an average BS of 5 which I have been told is ok. However, my kidneys are leaking protein - this is the actual result if anyone understands it - "Random urine protein level 0.27 g/L [0.0 - 0.15]; PCR >15 mg/mmol is adequate to define CKD 1 or 2." I was put on Ramipril 3 weeks ago but I already had low blood pressure so I had another blood test and BP taken today to check it. BP was 90/50. The blood test results and BP will be reported back to my GP at the end of the week. I am feeling light headed and my vision is more blurry than usual (waiting for a cataract operation) which I am assuming is the low BP. I wondered if anyone else has been in this situation and what is done about it, or if I should do anything myself now. I assume I won't be continuing with the Ramipril but then what about the leaking protein? I don't really understand the significance of this, does it mean I have kidney disease? Any advice appreciated please. Thank you.

Hello, I have type 2, diet controlled and my yearly check up showed an average BS of 5 which I have been told is ok. However, my kidneys are leaking protein - this is the actual result if anyone understands it - "Random urine protein level 0.27 g/L [0.0 - 0.15]; PCR >15 mg/mmol is adequate to define CKD 1 or 2." I was put on Ramipril 3 weeks ago but I already had low blood pressure so I had another blood test and BP taken today to check it. BP was 90/50. The blood test results and BP will be reported back to my GP at the end of the week. I am feeling light headed and my vision is more blurry than usual (waiting for a cataract operation) which I am assuming is the low BP. I wondered if anyone else has been in this situation and what is done about it, or if I should do anything myself now. I assume I won't be continuing with the Ramipril but then what about the leaking protein? I don't really understand the significance of this, does it mean I have kidney disease? Any advice appreciated please. Thank you.
If your blood pressure is normally low why were you put on a blood pressure lowering medication? Do be careful as you blood pressure does now seem very low and if you are getting dizzy spells then speak to you doctor sooner than next week.
There are several things that can cause protein in your urine UTIs for example but you should discuss the results with your GP before jumping to any conclusions.

Hi from a fellow diet-controlled T2, albeit with normal BP but also with Stage 2 CKD.

As @Leadinglights says Ramipril is usually prescribed for high blood pressure, although the NHS website says it can also prevent future kidney problems (https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/ramipril/). That may explain why you were given it, but having said that I wasn't prescribed anything for my CKD and it's remained at Stage 2 for 2 years now. The NHS site also says that some people may be unable to take it, eg those with unstable or low BP. I agree that you should discuss things with your GP.

Thank you for your responses. I was told that Ramipril would slow down or stop the leaking and my GP knew I already had low blood pressure, she wanted to see what would happen if I tried it. Do you think Stage 2 CKD is nothing to worry about or do anything about? I don't really understand the significance. It sounds serious - if it means chronic Kidney Disease which is what I thought it meant. I definitely haven't got a UTI. I will send a message to my GP about the dizziness and blurred vision. Thank you.

They usually do a blood test along with the annual usual collection of diabetes related blood tests to asses kidney function - eGFR - estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate. They should definitely do that test, if a urine dipstick indicates protein. Who on earth did the dipstick if it wasn't at your GP surgery, and why will it take a week for the GP to get the results?

Do you think Stage 2 CKD is nothing to worry about or do anything about? I don't really understand the significance. It sounds serious - if it means chronic Kidney Disease which is what I thought it meant.
Stage 2 Chronic Kidney Disease is considered mild. My GP didn't think it necessary to put me on medication but scheduled follow-up tests that showed it was still at Stage 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back