Kidney Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

MargB

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Currently feeling sorry for myself as I have a kidney/urinary tract infection and am taking anti-biotics.

Someone said this is part and parcel of being diabetic - really?

I will get the results of the urine test next week and it was scarey passing blood but the doctor (locum) did not seem over-concerned.

Any advice?? How do you get a kidney infection? I drink plenty of water so don't think it will be that.

Hi Marg, sorry to hear you are poorly, I hope the anitbios work quickly 🙂 I don't know much about kidney infections but they do seem to be fairly common among diabetics judging by the many reports on here. Hopefully someone will be along with useful advice!

Hi marg sorry to hear about your infection hun, i remember traceycat had one a while ago she will be able to help i think x

I think its sometimes advised to eat live yoghurt to replace the good bacteria.

Sorry to hear about the kidey infection. I hope you feel better soon.

Advice given in my area is to drink plenty, try and avoid excess sugar and cut it out where possible, cut down on salt as much as possible and avoid things like alcohol and things with lots of caffeine in them. Things like herbal teas, fruit juice and plain water are OK.

Personally I dont think Kidney infections are due to diabetes as such. Sure someone will correct me if im wrong.

I have been diagnosed 3 years and no urine/kidney infections to date. (touches wood).

I know thrush and cystisis can be common doue to higher sugar levels in urine etc, maybe it can develop from here if not treated, just a thought.

Up your fluid intake whilst the kidney infection is ongoing MargB, this will help to flush out the bacteria causing the problem in the first place.

Currently feeling sorry for myself as I have a kidney/urinary tract infection and am taking anti-biotics.

Someone said this is part and parcel of being diabetic - really?

I will get the results of the urine test next week and it was scarey passing blood but the doctor (locum) did not seem over-concerned.

Any advice?? How do you get a kidney infection? I drink plenty of water so don't think it will be that.

hi marg so sorry to hear of your nasty kidney infection, Iv'e never had a kidney infection and Iv'e had diabetes for 21 years. It might just be one of those unexplained things that happen, but I do hope you feel better very soon. Take care and best wishes Sheena x

I think its sometimes advised to eat live yoghurt to replace the good bacteria.

Hi MargeB,

That advice is to replace the normal flora, that's the bugs that live on your sking and in your body normally as they are killed by the antibiotics. That's sound advice in any antibiotic related scenarios. Keep up the fluid intake as this should help to wash it out of your system.

As a diabetic we are generally a little more vulnerable to other infections and autoimmune conditions.

Tom

Hope you are feeling better soon.

I'd never had any problems with urinary infections or similar until I was diagnosed as diabetic.

Since being diagnosed I've had 3 lots of bladder stones and a kidney stone, so it must definately be related to diabetes.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

I'd never had any problems with urinary infections or similar until I was diagnosed as diabetic.

Since being diagnosed I've had 3 lots of bladder stones and a kidney stone, so it must definately be related to diabetes.

hi my sister had 6 kidney stone urinary /kidney infection ,cystites since she was teenager and last time even septicemya in the urinary tract because they did not treat her properly and myself been twins i never had anything like that in my life so i dont think is because you are diabetic certain body are more prone then others and she is not diabetic

It's coz we're all just too sweet....

Ah, diabetes, the sugar in your body just hangs around making a neusense of it's self, and bacteria like sweet things, so being diabetic does make you more prone to urinary tract infections. Try drinking cranberry juice, that's supposed to help flush out your kidneys. I tried it once, but my problem turned out not to be an infection but undiagnosed diabetes, so i guess we can cross cranberry juice off the list of miracle cures for the big D... Your doctor may give you antibiotics, such as trimethoprim to fight the infection.

Hope you feel better soon

Rachel

lots of lemon with water is good as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back