Kidney function

Status
Not open for further replies.

Falkirk Bairn

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello. My HbA1c has remained steady at about 52 for a couple of years. My kidney function has been about 37 / 38. At my latest diabetes review last week, although my HbA1c was still at 52, my kidney function had reduced to 30. I find this drop quite alarming. What might have caused this drop? (I believe reduction in kidney function is irreversible)

Hello. My HbA1c has remained steady at about 52 for a couple of years. My kidney function has been about 37 / 38. At my latest diabetes review last week, although my HbA1c was still at 52, my kidney function had reduced to 30. I find this drop quite alarming. What might have caused this drop? (I believe reduction in kidney function is irreversible)
This is probably something to discuss with your GP as there could be many reasons, one of which is high blood glucose. With an HbA1C of 52 you are in the diabetic zone so should try to make some efforts to bring your level down, if this has not happened over a couple of years than looking at your carbohydrate intake again to see if you can reduce it as that will have the most impact on your blood glucose levels. At least it has not gone up so some consolation.
This link may help you with some new ideas for modifying your diet. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/

Best to talk to your GP, as could be a change in meds or an infection causing the problem. I had an infection and my kidney function dropped down to 36 it's now in the mid 50's so yes it can be reversed depending on the cause.

Hi.Thanks for your reply. I have another urine test on Monday, so hopefully they will discover something then.
Extremely heartening to learn that decrease in kidney function can be reversed. I wasn’t aware of this.

I really hope this is a daft question, but you ARE drinking enough, aren't you?

Hi.Thanks for your reply. I have another urine test on Monday, so hopefully they will discover something then.
Extremely heartening to learn that decrease in kidney function can be reversed. I wasn’t aware of this.
My infection showed via CRP blood test.

Are you taking any other medication? Say, Ibuprofen or Voltarol for pain relief? The reason I ask is my renal function declined when I was taking Voltarol for arthritic pain. I can now no longer take similar meds because of that. I’m still classified as Stage 1 renal failure, which is the lowest of 5 grades, (Grade 5 is the don’t start any long books level) so I’m careful of keeping my wee a pale yellow, showing I’m properly hydrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back