Keytones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellybell80

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Evening all,
So I've not been the best this last year with my diabetes . Not taking my insulin regularly. But I'm trying to be better. My sugar levels have been over 30 at times. Even though I hardly eat through the day. Have been unwell with a few issues over the year.
But the last week or so my sugar levels are in their 20s even with insulin, its driving me a little crazy. I've had ketones tonight of 1.5 on a urine dipstick. I've had a couple keytones the last few weeks pretty much at 0.5. But nothing too bad.
I can't seem to find an answer what is classed as a problem with urine dipstick amounts for the uk. Just if its high to contact the nurse.
Is 1.5(+5) a concern? Or not to worry?
I'll do another one in a couple of hours incase it was a false positive. I'm using a multi test strip for other things as I ran out of keytones strips a while ago and it was all I could get hold of.

Actually the numbers are 15 tonight not 1.5. Couldn't see the label correctly as I have an eye infection lol.

Ok, so definite ketones but not super-high. I call that colour an Amber warning. You say your blood sugar has been high recently - perhaps this is due to your eye infection pushing them up? Do you know how to do a correction dose if needed? What insulins do you take?

And what’s your blood sugar now? If it’s say 18-20 or above, I’d phone 111 for advice and tell them you have ketones. Drink plenty of water. If the ketone colour goes darker and into the next shade up, I’d phone 111 anyway.

It was 18 before my dinner. I gave myself 16units of novarapid its 10.7 now.
I use lantus in the morning. 26 units
Its all over the place at the moment. The eye infection only started a couple of days a go. But have had a few different infections of late and caught covid a month a go. So that hasn't helped.
I'll go to bed on a 10 and wake up in the morning at 14. So I'm getting rises through the night.

From this NHS page is sounds like urine dipstick readings of ++ might indicate you need to seek medical attention. Not sure how that relates to the chart you’ve got as it’s quite hard to read, but perhaps there might be some information in the enclosed leaflet as to how to interpret the readings you are getting.

If in doubt, call NHS 111 to check!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back