Keytones & high levels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy2202

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi guys hope we’re all well.

Not been here much lately, been very busy with work/business and truth be told I reckon I’ve hit a ‘bit of a don’t give a fcuk’ attitude with my diabetes control.

Don’t get me wrong I still try to keep it in range etc but if I want to go high for a bit and eat what the hell I like I will.

One thing I never do is check for keytones.

Over the past couple months I might eat Say a Chinese and be high all night asleep, then wake up and test and I’m sat 15 all through the night. Not always but this does happen.

Sometimes I find corrections don’t work as well as they should, sometimes even a correction of 2 units might only bring me down 4 MMOL.

Would this be Because I have keytones?
Cos usually a correction of 1 unit novarapid brings me down 5 mmols in 1.5 hours

Hope you follow.

Appreciate the reply’s.

Think I’m approaching year 2 of this game, having therapy through the NHS for it and other things related to it all. So no idea how well or how bad I’m doing. I won’t allow medical people to give me results due to anxiety hence the NHS therapy.

But think im alright..

This keytone situation plays on my mind though.

Keep strong take care guys I’ll check reply’s later x

How does your day to day monitoring impact your anxiety and vice versa?

Yes it’s possible that being at 15 all night will mean you have ketones that need more insulin to bring you down again. Insulin goes to treat any ketones before it treats glucose so it can take more to see a decent difference in BG. Or it may just be that you’re high and your body is more resistant to the insulin in the correction. The only way to really know is to test for ketones. Although any time my kid has had ketones around 1 he’s felt rough and it’s been really obvious so if you don’t feel ill it may just be the BG

Running a little high is ok but being high all night is a big proportion of your 24 hours. It’s fine to eat foods that are high carb just try to match the insulin to it. It’s good that you haven’t given up on some management and I hope the therapy goes well. Chronic conditions are a drag and having support is a good idea.

I find when my levels are 15 and above, I definitely become insulin resistant even when I have low ketones. I need to double my correction factor when I am that high.
I also find the insulin resistance can slow down my insulin and it seems to take forever to start having any affect.
And to make it even worse, my CGM will over estimate such a high which makes it even more important to check against a finger prick.

Do you have the ability to test your ketones? Knowing your ketone levels may reduce your anxiety.
You can get test strips if your meter can check ketones. If not, you may need to ask for a different meter for ketones.
Alternatively there are ketone sticks that you wee on.

I find when my levels are 15 and above, I definitely become insulin resistant even when I have low ketones. I need to double my correction factor when I am that high.
I also find the insulin resistance can slow down my insulin and it seems to take forever to start having any affect.
And to make it even worse, my CGM will over estimate such a high which makes it even more important to check against a finger prick.

Do you have the ability to test your ketones? Knowing your ketone levels may reduce your anxiety.
You can get test strips if your meter can check ketones. If not, you may need to ask for a different meter for ketones.
Alternatively there are ketone sticks that you wee on.
Yes I have keytones tester etc in the cupboard, I just don’t do it for anxiety reasons

I’ve had some really grotty nights, so what were saying is I would have had them and that’s why I couldn’t correct properly

I’ve had some really grotty nights, so what were saying is I would have had them and that’s why I couldn’t correct properly
Being at 15 will make you feel grotty so it’s hard to know. Either way you need the insulin you need. If you suspect you’re high correcting sooner rather than later will mean the insulin works more effectively

I find that I sleep poorly when my levels reach 10. I am restless and hot and toss and turn until eventually I wake up and inject a correction and then go back to sleep. As others have said, once my levels get into double figures I need significantly more insulin to bring it down again, so I would consider what you describe as reasonably normal and nothing to do with ketones but it depends what you consider to be "really grotty nights". If you have ketones developing and you don't inject insulin, then they will not improve without injecting some insulin and the longer you leave it and the higher your BG gets, the longer it takes ages to work, compared to insulin injected when my levels are in range, so it really is helpful to inject for your meals whenever possible and keep things from getting out of hand. I appreciate that it may be easier said than done when you are going through a tough patch mentally with your diabetes management.
You are clearly worrying about ketones whether you test or not, so maybe testing would help put your mind at rest or focus you to deal with it, if you do have ketones? I think the thing to remember is that you have the tools to manage this and using them should give you power and confidence over your diabetes. Not using those tools is like giving your car keys to someone who you know is reckless and drunk and then climbing into the passenger seat next to them and hoping that they get you home without hitting anything. You might get away with it once or twice but sooner or later you are going to crash. Far better to take control and drive yourself.
Sending (((HUGS))) because we all know it is tough.

I find that I sleep poorly when my levels reach 10. I am restless and hot and toss and turn until eventually I wake up and inject a correction and then go back to sleep. As others have said, once my levels get into double figures I need significantly more insulin to bring it down again, so I would consider what you describe as reasonably normal and nothing to do with ketones but it depends what you consider to be "really grotty nights". If you have ketones developing and you don't inject insulin, then they will not improve without injecting some insulin and the longer you leave it and the higher your BG gets, the longer it takes ages to work, compared to insulin injected when my levels are in range, so it really is helpful to inject for your meals whenever possible and keep things from getting out of hand. I appreciate that it may be easier said than done when you are going through a tough patch mentally with your diabetes management.
You are clearly worrying about ketones whether you test or not, so maybe testing would help put your mind at rest or focus you to deal with it, if you do have ketones? I think the thing to remember is that you have the tools to manage this and using them should give you power and confidence over your diabetes. Not using those tools is like giving your car keys to someone who you know is reckless and drunk and then climbing into the passenger seat next to them and hoping that they get you home without hitting anything. You might get away with it once or twice but sooner or later you are going to crash. Far better to take control and drive yourself.
Sending (((HUGS))) because we all know it is tough.
Thank you so much for this reply @rebrascora
I shall remember this and going to get the keytones tester out this morning. Thankyou
It’s a tough old battle this game isn’t it, I salute those who have had to deal with this life way longer then me.

Yes it’s possible that being at 15 all night will mean you have ketones that need more insulin to bring you down again. Insulin goes to treat any ketones before it treats glucose so it can take more to see a decent difference in BG. Or it may just be that you’re high and your body is more resistant to the insulin in the correction. The only way to really know is to test for ketones. Although any time my kid has had ketones around 1 he’s felt rough and it’s been really obvious so if you don’t feel ill it may just be the BG

Running a little high is ok but being high all night is a big proportion of your 24 hours. It’s fine to eat foods that are high carb just try to match the insulin to it. It’s good that you haven’t given up on some management and I hope the therapy goes well. Chronic conditions are a drag and having support is a good idea.
@Thebearcametoo thankyoy for this reply. I shall take all the information onboard x

Good to hear that you have the means to check for ketones, and are aiming to check when the situation next arises.

Hope the therapy continues to support your wellbeing.

Keep going my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back