Ketostix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroline1967

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi is it possible to buy Ketostix over the counter?
I woke up about two hours ago feeling very rough and checked bloods and was 26. Just now it has gone down to 20 so looking better. Not sure that I need to check Keytones as a type 2 but wondered if they were available. All I can find are ones you send away for. As it is bank holiday not sure that I would find a pharmacy open anyway!

Thanks

You can but they might need to order them in

Thanks, Amazon might be easier then! I am drinking loads at the minute so hopefully glucose will come down. Not sure what caused it to be this high which is also a concern.

Thanks, Amazon might be easier then! I am drinking loads at the minute so hopefully glucose will come down. Not sure what caused it to be this high which is also a concern.
Look up the other symptoms of DKA online, if you have those too go to a&e, if you feel very unwell but don’t have DKA symptoms you could also call 111 for advice

Thanks Lucy. I didn’t have other symptoms of DKA. Glucose is now 14 so much better. I recently stopped medication as nothing was agreeing with me. Nurse hoped I could control things with diet alone…not sure that I can if it’s getting up to 26! I will try and speak to him this week. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.

Thanks Lucy. I didn’t have other symptoms of DKA. Glucose is now 14 so much better. I recently stopped medication as nothing was agreeing with me. Nurse hoped I could control things with diet alone…not sure that I can if it’s getting up to 26! I will try and speak to him this week. Thank you for taking the time to reply to me.
It can be tricky as being unwell can increase your blood glucose but then high blood glucose can make you feel unwell.
I'm pleased you are feeling a bit better and your level is coming down.
It sounds as if you have had a bit of a fight with the various medications, if dietary changes are not possible then maybe the next step is insulin.
Are you happy to share what sort of meals you have to see if anybody can spot any obvious problem foods.

That’s good, DKA is less of a concern at 14. It does sound like you need some medication unless this is short term ie you’re unwell or on short term steroids that would cause high bg.

It can be tricky as being unwell can increase your blood glucose but then high blood glucose can make you feel unwell.
I'm pleased you are feeling a bit better and your level is coming down.
It sounds as if you have had a bit of a fight with the various medications, if dietary changes are not possible then maybe the next step is insulin.
Are you happy to share what sort of meals you have to see if anybody can spot any obvious problem foods.
I have had problems with lots of medication! Metformin made me feel dreadful so I swapped to SR Metformin which was better but not brilliant. It didn't do enough to lower the glucose to be worth feeling so bad though Dapagliflozin and empagliflozin made my face and tongue swell up which was rather worrying! Tried Ozempic which gave me such awful stomach pain that I had to stop using it. I am taking 40mg of Gliclazide daily at the minute. My lasted HBa1C was 51 so the nurse thought I should try with just the Gliclazide. It's only been 3 weeks so far but I have had sever days when I have woken up at 15+ and then yesterday which was awful.

I am trying to stick to a diet of less that 100g carbs a day which is about doable. I had about 130 on Sunday (evening with friends which doesn't happen often so I treated myself to a couple of biscuits!!) but I don't think that was so much as to cause such a high level when I woke up.

I am a lot better today and going to keep on with only the gliclazide for a while. If I have another dreadful day like yesterday I will get in touch with my nurse and see if he can help.

Thanks for your help

I have had problems with lots of medication! Metformin made me feel dreadful so I swapped to SR Metformin which was better but not brilliant. It didn't do enough to lower the glucose to be worth feeling so bad though Dapagliflozin and empagliflozin made my face and tongue swell up which was rather worrying! Tried Ozempic which gave me such awful stomach pain that I had to stop using it. I am taking 40mg of Gliclazide daily at the minute. My lasted HBa1C was 51 so the nurse thought I should try with just the Gliclazide. It's only been 3 weeks so far but I have had sever days when I have woken up at 15+ and then yesterday which was awful.

I am trying to stick to a diet of less that 100g carbs a day which is about doable. I had about 130 on Sunday (evening with friends which doesn't happen often so I treated myself to a couple of biscuits!!) but I don't think that was so much as to cause such a high level when I woke up.

I am a lot better today and going to keep on with only the gliclazide for a while. If I have another dreadful day like yesterday I will get in touch with my nurse and see if he can help.

Thanks for your help
Looking at your details you made amazing progress in the first three months so something was obviously working for you so I wonder what changed that things slowed down, though you have managed to get down to a not bad level but when oral medications are not working it may be worth considering asking for the tests to check if you are misdiagnosed and are actually Type 1 or LADA, those being c-peptide and GAD antibodies. Worth baring in mind.

Looking at your details you made amazing progress in the first three months so something was obviously working for you so I wonder what changed that things slowed down, though you have managed to get down to a not bad level but when oral medications are not working it may be worth considering asking for the tests to check if you are misdiagnosed and are actually Type 1 or LADA, those being c-peptide and GAD antibodies. Worth baring in mind.
I was doing really well to start with. I was taking 2g Metformin, 10mg Dapagliflozin and 80mg Gliclazide and now I am taking only 40mg gliclazide...I feel that might be the problem! I did ask about being type one but the idea was dismissed as my HBa1C dropped so quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back