Ketosis, when can I stop insulin and is ketosis responsible for high sugar levels? I have lost 12 lbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzanne Carol

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Just over 3 weeks ago I went on the 8 week sugar diet and I’ve lost 12 lbs so far. I stopped my insulin but my sugar levels are still very high, ranging between 13 - 25, is this because my glucose meter is also measuring the ketones? I’m worried that I’m doing something wrong. Carol

Why did you stop your insulin @Suzanne Carol ? It would have been better to get medical advice and reduce it gradually along with your carbs. If your blood sugar levels are that high, you clearly need the insulin or other meds.

I’d speak to your surgery and get some support.

I see you’re new - welcome 🙂 I really do urge you to get some help asap. You must be feeling rough with levels that high.

The BG meter is not affected by ketones. Why do you think that there are ketones? They do not normally occur in type 2. If ketones are found it is a strong indication that you are type 1.

What are you doing wrong? The obvious answer is that you stopped the insulin. If you need insulin soon after diagnosis this indicates that you are type 1 too.

You would not usually be put on insulin until other meds had failed.

I too welcome you and urge you to seek help

Let us know how things are going @Suzanne Carol

Have you reintroduced a little insulin to try to reduce those BGs a bit?

If your blood sugar meter is flashing up the word ketones and you aren’t using special ketone test strips then it’s probably not actually checking the ketones. It’s warning you that you need to check them because your blood sugar is high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back