ketones...

Status
Not open for further replies.

leenevitt

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
i am ashamed to say.. that although i thought i ws clued up on diabetes... i have never checked my keytones....erm how... and where do you get things that whatever you do with them from...
a red faced lee...😉

The diabetes.co.uk website has a page for you: http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-ketones.html

You should be able to get the sticks from a pharmacy or on-line store, but they have a short shelf life once opened. Or you could ask you medical advisor (nurse or GP when you see them). I only did a test (pee on a stick) when I was on a very low carb diet, but T2s are less likely to suffer from ketones than T1s.

I've got the sticks on my repeat if I want them, you can buy them I think?!?
Yeah as Vic says shelf life an issue, apparently it's 6 months!?
there is a blood glucose meter that can also test for keytones in the blood which apparently more accurate, not sure which one though.

The Optium Xceed can test for ketones in the blood. The test strip boxes only contain 10 strips and they are quite expensive, some Drs don't like to prescribe the blood ketone strips unless you are in the middle of an acute illness. The urine strips tend to me more freely available.

The urine strips show your ketone levels an hour or so ago where as the blood ketone strips show your levels now.

Prior to going on my SADIE course (DAFNE but just a different name) I had porbably tested for ketones about five times in fourteen years. Now that I am pumping I know much more about them...

If you have the Optium Xceed i can send you some i have loads of them and i have used about 3 in 4 years so you can have them.
They are every importent to have. I always have them with my meter even though they are never used.
xx

Lee, as you are on a pump you should have the means to test. If you have a problem with the pump or site, particularly overnight, you can develop high glucose and ketones quite quickly.

The consultant at my hospital said he felt that all people on pumps should test for ketones every morning. I haven't felt the need to and my own doc doesn't insist though she makes sure that I keep in date strips in case I need them.

You can also develop ketones when ill (particularly if being sick or with diarrhoea.) This applies to all people with type 1.

Its no good testing though if you don't know what to do if you find ketones.

These pages give some good info and a very useful flow chart about what to do if levels are above 14mmol. They are very similar to what I was taught (but they come from a UK source) It is also important to know what your own doctor suggests for correction doses and this may vary from the generalised advice.
(p 26-29 of the PDF)

http://www.diabetes-education.net/pdf/resources/insulin_pump_workbook.pdf

Hi Lee,
Another red faced person here as like you i never check for ketones and no one has ever advised me about this. I know they exist but have never ever ever been advised about them on my prescription and such like. Even when i was pregnant i was never advised that I should add ketone sticks! I mentioned this myself in one of the pregnancy threads and have since been advised accordingly.

Your Dr's will add them onto your presecription but annoying its something we are asking them for when it should be them advising us about.

Bernie xx 🙂

I got ketone pee sticks prescribed when I was diagnosed and have used them once in two years. It occured to me recently that the tub had been opened about 12 months ago, but when I looked on my repeat they had been removed! My doctor put them back on. They had been removed because I hadn't ordered any in so long, but it is essential to have them on standby and in-date in case you do need them quickly.

yeah i agree bernie... i was never issued or told about them... i will see my doc next week and sort it out... i kinda think thats why i have lost so much weight recently....hmmmmmm well i am seeing my consultant on the 10th of june anyway...

yeah i agree bernie... i was never issued or told about them... i will see my doc next week and sort it out... i kinda think thats why i have lost so much weight recently....hmmmmmm well i am seeing my consultant on the 10th of june anyway...

Not good is it? At least you have an appointment booked... 🙂

I get the impression that its not as vital as blood testing but good to have the ketone sticks incase of illness, changes in meds and such like. Its still one of those round to it jobs for me though 😱

Bernie xx 🙂

High Ketones with normal BSL.

Try this one!!!!!!!! My son's bloods were normal on Tuesday. Unwell with a temperature and totally lifeless, but his blood sugars were normal. I took him to the GP who did a urine sample and he got rushed into hospital with +++Ketones. This is 2nd from the top on the ketone stick - Purple and +++ Glucose. We were sent home again because his bsl wasn't high but told to make sure he didn't get above 10. The Diabetes Consultant had no answer for me said it was one of them unexplainable things that often happens with Harrison esp glucose when his bloods were normal. I have looked all over the net for answers. I have since done a ketone test every morning and some mornings there's a trace +(beige/pink)ketones which is app normal but other mornings nothing. He did hypo twice during the night but only 3.8 1am and 3.9 5.30am which I treat n stayed in the 4-5 all night??????????????????????????????????

Try this one!!!!!!!! My son's bloods were normal on Tuesday. Unwell with a temperature and totally lifeless, but his blood sugars were normal. I took him to the GP who did a urine sample and he got rushed into hospital with +++Ketones. This is 2nd from the top on the ketone stick - Purple and +++ Glucose. We were sent home again because his bsl wasn't high but told to make sure he didn't get above 10. The Diabetes Consultant had no answer for me said it was one of them unexplainable things that often happens with Harrison esp glucose when his bloods were normal. I have looked all over the net for answers. I have since done a ketone test every morning and some mornings there's a trace +(beige/pink)ketones which is app normal but other mornings nothing. He did hypo twice during the night but only 3.8 1am and 3.9 5.30am which I treat n stayed in the 4-5 all night??????????????????????????????????

Not sure I am understanding you right here. Are you saying that your child had large ketones - but because levels werent high they sent you home - WITH LARGE KETONES???????
I do hope I have this wrong or your hospital have made a huge mistake. Ketones are what happens when you are on the way to DKA - if you dont get them down - it can be fatal. It is completely irrelevant what BG you have.

Why are they testing ketones with pee sticks? They should be using the optium exceed meter as this is the only accurate way of knowing what level ketone they are dealing with. Sticks are next to useless as they are not accurate and if they are out of date you dont get a true reading. Ask your DSN for the optium exceed meter asap.🙂Bev

Not sure I am understanding you right here. Are you saying that your child had large ketones - but because levels werent high they sent you home - WITH LARGE KETONES???????
I do hope I have this wrong or your hospital have made a huge mistake. Ketones are what happens when you are on the way to DKA - if you dont get them down - it can be fatal. It is completely irrelevant what BG you have.

It is possible to get ketones without the risk of DKA and with normal BG levels - these are dietary ketones. Essentially the same ketones, but because there is sufficient circulating insulin to process them, they can be flushed from the body. This is what happens when people lose weight through ordinary dieting. With DKA, the ketones build up because there isn't enough insulin around to process them out of the body.

The thing that confuses me is the +++glucose whilst his blood glucose was normal, although urine glucose is going to be an hour after, as are urine ketones. :confused:

It is possible to get ketones without the risk of DKA and with normal BG levels - these are dietary ketones. Essentially the same ketones, but because there is sufficient circulating insulin to process them, they can be flushed from the body. This is what happens when people lose weight through ordinary dieting. With DKA, the ketones build up because there isn't enough insulin around to process them out of the body.

The thing that confuses me is the +++glucose whilst his blood glucose was normal, although urine glucose is going to be an hour after, as are urine ketones. :confused:

I was told that 'starvation' ketones only show up as very small amounts or anything under 1 on the meter - but that anything higher is an indication that these are diabetic ketones? Perhaps the glucose in the urine wasnt accurate at the time of the test - is the glucose test an hour behind real time?:confused:🙂Bev

I was told that 'starvation' ketones only show up as very small amounts or anything under 1 on the meter - but that anything higher is an indication that these are diabetic ketones? Perhaps the glucose in the urine wasnt accurate at the time of the test - is the glucose test an hour behind real time?:confused:🙂Bev

Your information is probably better than mine bev, thanks for clarifying 🙂 Peeing on a stick gives the glucose an hour after as far as I know. Very confusing! Mind you, it obviously confused the experts too so what chance do we have 😱

I'm willing to be corrected but I thought dka only occurs when there's a lack of insulin, so goes hand in hand with high blood sugars. So it's possible to have ketosis with normal blood sugars but the risk of ketoacidosis would only occur with a lack of insulin/high bg.
Still, I surprised a hospital wouldn't want to keep an eye on a diabetic child with ketones as a precaution if nothing else.

Why are they testing ketones with pee sticks? They should be using the optium exceed meter as this is the only accurate way of knowing what level ketone they are dealing with. Sticks are next to useless as they are not accurate and if they are out of date you dont get a true reading. Ask your DSN for the optium exceed meter asap.🙂Bev

It was my normal GP that tested with a pee stick, I dont imagine they see many cases as young as Harrison in the surgery or people with pumps as the doctors I see always want know about his diabetes and want to look at the pump and how it works?
No you have it right the hospital sent us home!!!
They asked me what specifically I was worried about. It was them that told my GP to bring him into hospital!!!! I said I was worried about the ketones and how high they were!!! They told me to keep an eye on him and not to let him go above 10. Im not knocking the DKN but they have extensive knowledge about diabetes they should at least sometimes be able to give me answers. I've been told I do too many BS testing, that they can't see the woods for the trees? Harry is 4 and doesn't often know when he's low or high.
My nurse the next day told me that it was possible the the sticks were out of date. They did test his wee in the hospital but we never got the results!!! One thing I did notice was his wee colour got clearer throughout the day and by 1.30pm he was full of life and had no ketones, where at doc's and hospital he was lifeless he wouldn't lie down bed but had to keep resting his head on me?
My Ketones sticks are only a month old.

I'm willing to be corrected but I thought dka only occurs when there's a lack of insulin, so goes hand in hand with high blood sugars. So it's possible to have ketosis with normal blood sugars but the risk of ketoacidosis would only occur with a lack of insulin/high bg.
Still, I surprised a hospital wouldn't want to keep an eye on a diabetic child with ketones as a precaution if nothing else.

Aymes, I think you may be right - but what makes this a bit more confusing is the glucose in the urine - surely this means that there is an excess of glucose which normally would indicate a problem with the kidneys? So the whole thing of the BG's being low seems very odd to me and given the fact that they were testing with outdated methods (in my view) - leads me to feel a little uneasy with their course of action. Given the fact that he is a young child - I would have thought they would at least want to keep him in overnight to make sure everything settled down - childrens bodies react very quickly to changes and its always best to be on the safe side. Still a bit puzzled!:confused:🙂Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back