ketones?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smile.

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
just a quick question, what are the boundaries for ketones like what range is okay, not good and dangerous?

Hi

I was told that anything over +++ ketones then to go to hospital but if I had just + ketone to drink lots and keep checking.Other's might have been told different though. Hope that helps.

Hi

I was told that anything over +++ ketones then to go to hospital but if I had just + ketone to drink lots and keep checking.Other's might have been told different though. Hope that helps.

yeah it does help thanks but what like numbers are +++?

Hi Smile,

it's not a subject that I know too much about but I don't think there is a level that is okay.

I've done a quick search but the sites that I've read just mention medium or hgh as being at risk of DKA but none of them say what level medium or high actually is.

I think the ketostix give readings of 0 or negative, +, ++, +++ etc.

I wouldn't normally check for ketones unless I was ill or I'd tested my BG and it was higher than 14 mmols or so.

If I had a reading of + then I would check my BG again and if it was high I would take measures to reduce it such as a correction bolus.

If the reading was ++ or higher then I think I would contact my DSN, GP or NHS direct for advice.

If you have ketones then it's very important to drink lots of water.

Are you using blood ketone strips? If so then it's easier to give exact figures that certain action needs to be taken. Your team should inform you of what levels you need to seek medical help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back