Ketones

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceFace

Forum Moderator
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Morning everyone, I never really tested for Ketones, I know I should, I bought a meter and tested, the results were 0.1, having looked at the leaflet I still can't understand what that result means, old age lol just wondered if anyone can shed a light on it.

Morning everyone, I never really tested for Ketones, I know I should, I bought a meter and tested, the results were 0.1, having looked at the leaflet I still can't understand what that result means, old age lol just wondered if anyone can shed a light on it.
I don't need to check for ketones but I understand that under 0.6 is normal.

@AceFace why do you think you need to test for ketones?

There seem to be a couple of reasons I have come across:
- those following a very low carb diet look to have ketones to show their body os in ketosis - burning fat instead of carbs
- for people with Type 1 diabetes, we are at risk of DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) - high blood sugars with ketones is a strong indication of this very dangerous condition. Whilst I have read of people with type 2 experiencing this, my understanding is that it is rare (and potentially a misdiagnosis of type 2).

I have strips to test for ketones but use them very rarely - only when my levels are stubbornly high for a long time.

@AceFace why do you think you need to test for ketones?

There seem to be a couple of reasons I have come across:
- those following a very low carb diet look to have ketones to show their body os in ketosis - burning fat instead of carbs
- for people with Type 1 diabetes, we are at risk of DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) - high blood sugars with ketones is a strong indication of this very dangerous condition. Whilst I have read of people with type 2 experiencing this, my understanding is that it is rare (and potentially a misdiagnosis of type 2).

I have strips to test for ketones but use them very rarely - only when my levels are stubbornly high for a long time.
Morning Helli, I have consistent high blood sugars, I suffer from Dawn phenomenon, so I start the day of badly average probably 12, I don't eat breakfast so don't take insulin, at lunchtime I'm on my back foot so I have to take more insulin than carbs 15 mins before to get back on track or in range anyway then the whole process starts again, so I thought it would be good practice and piece of mind to test.

Dawn Phenomenon is a pain.
Quite a few people find eating something small as soon as they get up will minimise the effect - it is like telling your liver that it is not starving and can stop dumping glucose.
You can also take a correction insulin dose without food if you are comfortable calculating it.

I find exercise can greatly help my DP. If I have done a good workout the day before, I see less of a rise. But I appreciate this is not possible for everyone.

If I have done a good workout the day before, I see less of a rise.
Same here - if I have an afternoon walk (just 20 minutes is enough), my DP disappears. Not always possible, as helli says. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back