Ketones level

Nazish

Pronouns
She/Her
I am on keto diet. My ketone level is higher inbetween 8.0-10 mmol/l. I dont have diabetes. I just want to be sure if this is ok and not keto acidosis.

We are not medically trained on this forum to give diagnosis.
If you do not have diabetes (the theme of this forum), you are not at risk of diabetic ketoacidosis but I see there are other types.

This is the first article I found when I Googled "non-diabetic ketoacidosis": https://www.diagnoxhealth.com/blog/are-you-in-nutritional-ketosis-or-ketoacidosis
As it is the first I came across, I do not know how reliable it is but it suggests a ketone level above 8 mmol/l is concerning and should be checked.

I am on keto diet. My ketone level is higher inbetween 8.0-10 mmol/l. I dont have diabetes. I just want to be sure if this is ok and not keto acidosis.

You’d need a doctor to tell you that. I suggest you consult one, especially if you feel unwell. The keto diet can cause ketoacidosis occasionally and, IMO, it’s simply not worth the risk when there are plenty of other diets @Nazish

Here’s an example of ketoacidosis in someone without diabetes:

And more info and reports here:

Last edited:
The fastest way to reduce your ketones should be to eat more carbs

If you search, Keto diet, keytones too high - AI generates symptoms one of the main symptoms fruity breathe + other symptoms, but it looks like you need to see a doc asap if your levels are too high, don't delay.

Back