Ketones in blood type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I get ketones and am T2

You can also get ketones if you eat a keto diet.
My understanding is that ketones alone are not a problem. Ketones and high blood sugars are a problem.

Yes you can have ketones as a Type 2. This is called ketone prone type 2. I had close to 2.5 ketones in blood when diagnosed. All antibodies came out negative and C peptide shows sufficient insulin production ketone prone type 2 also known as type 1B (according to WHO)is a kind of diabetes common among the black folks.

I must often have ketones in my blood as I eat under 40 gm of carbs a day and I notice the smell of them - they tend to be excreted in everything, but as they are a result of ketosis, not ketoacidosis it is fine.

I must often have ketones in my blood as I eat under 40 gm of carbs a day and I notice the smell of them - they tend to be excreted in everything, but as they are a result of ketosis, not ketoacidosis it is fine.
What sort of levels do you see drummer ?

What sort of levels do you see drummer ?
I have no way to test, but ketones give a certain odour to breath sweat etc. which becomes familiar to those in the early stages of Atkins or sticking to low carb.

I only ask because my endo asked if I ever checked my ketones because we still don’t know what type I am. I said no but he asked me to start checking them, I do have limited amounts of strips on prescription. My sugars were at 7ish but my ketones at 0.8. So this is ok considering my diet do you think ?

I only ask because my endo asked if I ever checked my ketones because we still don’t know what type I am. I said no but he asked me to start checking them, I do have limited amounts of strips on prescription. My sugars were at 7ish but my ketones at 0.8. So this is ok considering my diet do you think ?

@EmmaL76 Ketones are supposed to be below 0.6. Copied from the NHS:

• lower than 0.6mmol/L is a normal reading
  • 0.6 to 1.5mmol/L means you're at a slightly increased risk of DKA and you should test again in 2 hours
  • 1.6 to 2.9mmol/L means you're at an increased risk of DKA and should contact your diabetes team or GP as soon as possible
  • 3mmol/L or above means you have a very high risk of DKA and should get medical help immediately

Although it’s much rarer, it’s possible to get DKA with a normal blood sugar.

Yes that is what I thought, didn’t know if I should be concerned or not.. that’s it the highest I have even seen for me but I do not test often. Had something to eat and half hour later it was 0.2.

I didn’t even know this was a thing! As we don’t get many strips it’s very difficult to test when sugars are normal. I just thought I needed to test when over 14. I must admit I was out shopping and felt absolutely shocking (quite common for me) that’s what provoked me to test. Makes me wonder what numbers I am at the rest of the time

@EmmaL76 you can buy urine ones. Its like 50 for £5, just ask at the pharmacy bit for them. Ketostix is what they are called.
Could spot check with them and follow up with a blood one if they indicate any present for a more accurate reading.

Well yes that’s what I was hoping! Well not actually hoping as I really don’t want to lose weight, it’s just I hadn’t heard that starvation ketones could be dangerous

@EmmaL76 you can buy urine ones. Its like 50 for £5, just ask at the pharmacy bit for them. Ketostix is what they are called.
Could spot check with them and follow up with a blood one if they indicate any present for a more accurate reading.
That’s actually a very good idea Thankyou xx

Well yes that’s what I was hoping! Well not actually hoping as I really don’t want to lose weight, it’s just I hadn’t heard that starvation ketones could be dangerous

They can in certain circumstances. Did your consultant give you any advice about using the ketone strips?

Well he just asked if I tested them, and when I didn’t he asked me if I could start, but didn’t say whether I had to be over a certain glucose level. This was after he checked me over for muscle wastage.

Hi all,

I would just like to confirm that T2 can get ketones and here in brief is my recent experience.

Although I knew my blood sugar control wasn't the best it also wasn't the worst, or so I thought, but my HbA1c had increased from 45 in November 2020 to 113 in November 2021 but the general practice nurse I saw for my annual review didn't seem concerned due to my previous low HbA1c's (in the 50's) and just told me to carry on as I was doing...….
However on the evening of 27th January I was hospitalised after becoming unwell (vomiting, unable to walk more than 5 steps without becoming breathless and acid reflux, which I have never suffered from). After a few tests by the paramedics, I was taken by ambulance to my local hospital with BS of 28, up from 10, even though I hadn't eaten for 36 hours and a very high heart rate. A few more tests in A&E established that I was suffering from DKA with ketones at 6.8.....
I was immediately put on several drips of fluids and insulin and then a routine of hourly blood tests to check my BS were coming down.
The following day I was visited by the DNS and I was immediately taken off of my Empagliflozin (was on it for over 5 years) as a side effect of this drug is KDA (1 in 1000 people). I continued to be monitored every hour and I was discharged later that evening with all levels back in acceptable ranges with my new Novorapid and Lantus pens in my bag all ready for my new journey and way of controlling my diabetes.
Anyway, almost 2 months on from that scary moment, my new routine is now second nature, I have fingertips of steel from checking my levels 4 times a day and a stomach like a pin cushion from the 4 insulin injections each day but I am definitely not complaining as I actually feel for the first time in 15 odd years that I am finally in control of my condition with my BS levels between 5 & 7 on every check.

Thanks for reading and if this post helps just 1 person then writing my story on here was worth it.

Take care all.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back