Ketone question

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoseraval

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question!

I understand that DKA is super dangerous and needs immediate medical intervention.

But on a low carb diet the body can go into ketosis, with ketones in the blood, right? So are these a different kind of ketone? Or are they not in the blood?

I'm so confused! If anyone can help me out with this I would super appreciate it! Thanks in advance.

Hi, sorry if this is a stupid question!

I understand that DKA is super dangerous and needs immediate medical intervention.

But on a low carb diet the body can go into ketosis, with ketones in the blood, right? So are these a different kind of ketone? Or are they not in the blood?

I'm so confused! If anyone can help me out with this I would super appreciate it! Thanks in advance.
Inka posed this link in answer to another posters question

Using fat requires BOTH insulin and glucose. Low blood glucose produces starvation ketones which sre removed from the body as fasr as they are produced. This might be desirable to lose weight by using fat.

Using fat requires BOTH insulin and glucose. Low blood glucose produces starvation ketones which sre removed from the body as fasr as they are produced. This might be desirable to lose weight by using fat.

Sorry - I can't understand what you are trying to convey?

Sorry - I can't understand what you are trying to convey?
OP asks- What is the difference between DKA [diabetic ketones] and ketones resulting from low carb diet (thus low glucose) [starvation ketones]

Answer- starvation ketones are removed from the body as fast as they are formed, diabetic ketones build up.

Hope this helps.

Yes I know the difference between ketones - but don't understand 'using fat requires both insulin and glucose' - using fat for what?

Dietarily of course the body can make glucose from fat, just not very much ie approx 10% of what it could make if you ate carb instead, and from protein it can make approx 40% ditto - but if we continue to eat more than enough carb for our body's glucose needs, it doesn't bother using the fat or the protein, most of which will be stored as body fat. Tricky, these human bodies!

Using fat (lipids) directlyfor fuel.

Insulin has three functions - in high concentrations it makes the liver take glucose from the blood. Ir allows glucose to enter most cells for use as fuel. It is needed when fat is used as fuel.

In type 1 there is just not enough insulin to allow glucose to enter most cells they would die without fuel so they try to use fat. Without insulin fat can not be used properly, the result is DKA.

Glucose can enter some cells even when there is little insulin. Glucose in high concentrations is toxic and kills the cells into which it can enter (netves, blood vessels, and cells on the eye).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back