Ketone Episode

Status
Not open for further replies.

chezpez

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all!
I had a very stressful afternoon yesterday, and i felt stressed like my bsl was high, anyway when i tested for tea it was only 8.0 so was pleased - but still felt stressed. I had my tea (with not much carbs) and still felt very stressed like i had ketones, anyway i tested about half an hour after tea and my bsl was 14.0!.. so i decided to go on the exercise bike for 15mins to put it right.. anyway another half an hour later felt really off now not sure if it was a panic or what so tested for ketones and i had them about a trace.. bsl still 14 decided to put extra few units of insulin in, and tried to calm down and had a bath - finally after 4hrs bsl came down to 4.0 for bed and ketones were gone... do you think it was the exercise, or the fact i was stressed and panicked caused the ill feeling and ketones?? i felt stupied after it all, i do panic when i'm not feeling well!! xx

Stress will raise your BS levels, and maybe with the food on top that's why you were so elevated. I wouldn't normally test so soon after eating as there's not been enough time for the insulin to start peaking - correcting in this situation can lead to you getting mixed up with how much insulin you have 'on board' and cause unexpected hypos later.

It could be that because of the stress (which prompts the liver to produce more glucose), you didn't have sufficient circulating insulin to cope with the rising levels and therefore your body turned to processing fat and this caused the ketones. Not sure if it was a good idea to exercise with your levels so high either. Of course, I'm not a doctor, so this is just speculation!

Hope you are feeling more relaxed now🙂

Stress will raise your BS levels, and maybe with the food on top that's why you were so elevated. I wouldn't normally test so soon after eating as there's not been enough time for the insulin to start peaking - correcting in this situation can lead to you getting mixed up with how much insulin you have 'on board' and cause unexpected hypos later.

It could be that because of the stress (which prompts the liver to produce more glucose), you didn't have sufficient circulating insulin to cope with the rising levels and therefore your body turned to processing fat and this caused the ketones. Not sure if it was a good idea to exercise with your levels so high either. Of course, I'm not a doctor, so this is just speculation!

Hi northerner, your right i dont normally test so soon after eating but i felt really off - i think it was more of a panic due to stress.. like you said i dont think i should of exercise - i just think its was one of those things, i hope it doesnt happen again.. any way feeling better today things are under control again, thanks for your reply xx

Hi
glad your feeling better. The only thing I would add is that 4.0 is low to go to sleep on, trust you had some food before bed? I was told that if my level is below 7.0 at bed time to have a snack (slice of toast or small bowl of cereal) - obviously we are all different.

Glad you are feeling better. Stress does all kinds of things to our sugar levels. It is easy to get in a panic when we are not sure what is going on.

Glad to hear your better Chez xx

Stress causes my BS to shoot up gr

Hi
glad your feeling better. The only thing I would add is that 4.0 is low to go to sleep on, trust you had some food before bed? I was told that if my level is below 7.0 at bed time to have a snack (slice of toast or small bowl of cereal) - obviously we are all different.
Thanks for your reply - i did have a couple of slices of toast before bed xx stress is so bad for your sugar levels!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back