Ketoacidosis

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcampbell

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I wanted to run my history in case anyone knows of a connection with Ketoacidosis and hives. My doctor and medical friends don't know of a connection.
My first "attack" was on a golf course in September. Time - 1pm. Following a cooked breakfast. Symptoms were extreme itching (head then travelling round the body), redness, nausea, faintness and leading to shaking.
On the ambulance my blood sugar reading was high and my blood pressure low.
I visited my GP the next day and booked a blood test (which took a month to book). This indicated high sugar, so I was asked for a second test, but I immediately started testing my sugar anway.
My second attck was Saturday 14th November at 5.30 am after a normal night's sleep. The symptoms were the same - this time I also noticed soreness inside the mouth as part of the hives moving around. I had also had a vomiting episode on Thursday evening.
When the paramedics arrived my sugar was at 10.8, but when next read in hospital was 18.3 so I had a test for Ketones - which was confirmed. I had noticed two readings in the previous month that alerted the possibility of Ketones.
I am aware that nausea (and a particular smell on the breath) is associated with Ketoacidosis, and I have had some previously unexplained vomiting episodes this year. So I am now certain that this is part of my type 2 diabetes experience.
I have had no previous allergy attacks, and I previously assumed I must have come across a new chemical on the golf course when I had the first attack. However there is no common link between the two episodes that suggests an intolerance to food or other external factors. So I am wondering if the hives is part of my body reaction to high ketones?
Does anyone else have a similar experience?
Thanks

I can't see a link between the two episodes. When I asked about ketones, I was told as a type 2 it was unlikely I'd get them, although I know this is not true for everyone.

It might pay you to talk to your doctor or the nurse and see what they have to say. It is always worth getting medical advice for any new symptom or anything you are worried about.

hi there campbell i agree with caroline as i type 2 i was told i would more then likely not to get them, but theres always the optiong to get more advice from your gp it cant harm you x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back