Kent and Medway rolls out Personal Health Budgets for NHS Continuing Healthcare

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A scheme tested by NHS Kent and Medway to allow patients control of Personal Health Budgets is now being rolled out across the country for NHS Continuing Healthcare patients.

NHS Medway and NHS Eastern and Coastal Kent were among 60 areas which trialled giving NHS Continuing Healthcare patients the choice of controlling the money for their care and support if they wanted to.

A Personal Health Budget is money to pay for a patient's healthcare needs. Patients are told their Personal Health Budget and someone from the team will work with them to agree the best way to spend it so it meets their clinical needs. It gives patients more of a say in how they want to spend the money for their healthcare.

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/NHS-Ken...-Budgets-NHS/story-17960881-detail/story.html

Whst a load of b******s! They tried that with social services and respite care some years back (Lincolnshire I think it was, or possibly Nottingham). What a disaster it was, they seriously underesimated user's needs and got buried in complaints. It died a quick death.

Last edited:
Perhaps all type 1's can bag a pump or a cgm if they want one 🙂

Well are we eligible for Continuing Care, or is that only for people who need 24 hour care like the two people mentioned and is it ALL your health care or only that bit of it which attracts the eligibility?

I mean either of those ladies might get say peritonitis. Intensive Care job probably because of them needing the 24-hour care. So would that leave em short to pay for the disability?

And ditto were we eligible for it, if I fall over and break my hip, does that mean I can't afford a retinopathy check this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back