Kenilworth schoolboy learns to cope with diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
A mother who suffers the heartbreak of watching her son having to inject insulin every day has taken comfort from the support of a fellow mum.

And what prompted Nicki Doyle to rush her son Brandon to Warwick Hospital after weeks of seeing him not his usual self was the day he just lay there listless when the Christmas tree was put up.

Nicki, of Berkeley Road, Kenilworth, said: ?It was December 1 and my children always get excited when it goes up.

?But Brandon just lay there with no energy and couldn?t get excited by it.?

http://www.kenilworthweeklynews.co....oolboy-learns-to-cope-with-diabetes-1-5861765

Brandon?s condition means Nicki measures out the carbohydrates in his diet to match his insulin intake and he also has to have two sets of insulin in his school lunchbox ? one for an active day and one for a sedentary day.
:confused:

That's just the journalists not understanding what they were told, Sue. For example, my son has a packed lunch, and I put a note in with the carbs on, and also if he's got P.E. after lunch I would write a reminder on it to adjust his bolus ratio. At primary school P.E. is not always easily predictable (not on a strict timetable), so she probably writes down two alternative ratios/bolus amounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back