Keeping insullin warm enough outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
How would keep insullin warm when outside in cold weather yestetday i think i worked out one of the reasons i was running high allday yestetday.

What country are you in? It doesn’t get cold enough to be of concern in the UK. If you’re in a sub zero temperature country then depending on how cold it gets you could use a frio pouch or keep the insulin in an inside clothing pocket, presumably you’d have a few layers on.

What country are you in? It doesn’t get cold enough to be of concern in the UK. If you’re in a sub zero temperature country then depending on how cold it gets you could use a frio pouch or keep the insulin in an inside clothing pocket, presumably you’d have a few layers on.
Do NOT use Frio to keep insulin warm. Frio cools through condensation from the water used to charge the crystals. It does not provide insulation and, if used in the cold, the crystals may freeze making the insulin colder.

If outside in the cold, I would keep my insulin close to my body, preferably in an inside pocket or somewhere well insulated. It should not be left in the car, for example.

Do NOT use Frio to keep insulin warm. Frio cools through condensation from the water used to charge the crystals. It does not provide insulation and, if used in the cold, the crystals may freeze making the insulin colder.

If outside in the cold, I would keep my insulin close to my body, preferably in an inside pocket or somewhere well insulated. It should not be left in the car, for example.
Nothing wrong with using a frio pouch, stops it getting too hot. If you’re in a country so cold that it’s freezing your insulin you’re going to be wearing lots of layers or keeping the heating up in your car.

The technical data sheets for long acting insulin, Abasaglar, require that the pen NOT be kept refrigerated once opened. And they do mean it, the viscosity changes as it gets to typical room temperature and becomes easier to inject. Novorapid has no advice other than to keep refrigerated before opening.

This post is about insulin getting too cold not too hot, so concerns from someone who regularly spends extended periods of time below fridge temperatures.
The technical data sheets for long acting insulin, Abasaglar, require that the pen NOT be kept refrigerated once opened. And they do mean it, the viscosity changes as it gets to typical room temperature and becomes easier to inject. Novorapid has no advice other than to keep refrigerated before opening.

Nothing wrong with using a frio pouch, stops it getting too hot. If you’re in a country so cold that it’s freezing your insulin you’re going to be wearing lots of layers or keeping the heating up in your car.
My comment regarding not leaving insulin in the car is not to leave it in the car when the engine is not running when there is no heater.
And I stand by my comment about avoiding Frio when there is a risk insulin can get cold. Frio is only designed to keep things cool not warm. This is very important. It is unlikely to get too warm if you place your insulin in an inside pocket when outside on a very cold day.

All that is needed is to insulate the insulin pens.

It wasnt that then are other factors as well. Like the fact i was high to start with but didnt correct thinking i would be on my feet so that would drop then probelly the n

I was in the uk but but i just thout it was the suden change of tempertue

this was for work. maybe i should have had in a case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back