Keeping good control

• Thread starter Thread starter FM001
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FM001

Hi,

Looking back over the years that I have had type 1 diabetes, it has not been a easy ride, more of a roller coaster!

Best wishes

Toby

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Tony - welcome. Such good control that you're awake and posting before 7am! Actually, I was up then, but only time to feed ducks, cat & myself before heading out to cycle to railway station. I'm still trying to get time to do a DAFNE course, though - almost everyone says similar to you that it gives so much practical information to improve quality of life.

Thank you Toby, it's really good to hear how you have turned things around, especially after so many years of being in a particular mindset. So many people have extolled the benefits of DAFNE - it seems they really have got things right! My one little regret is that I won't be able to find out for myself, as my local PCT offered its own education programme so I won't be going on another (not for a while anyway!). The course was very good, and I think that I was very lucky to receive it shortly after diagnosis (about 3 months after), so as you say I didn't have chance to develop bad habits! Understanding the principles from the outset, I have been able to maintain excellent levels.

You also illustrate how, even with many years of experience of diabetes behind them, it is extremely beneficial for their knowledge to be reviewed and updated.

Over the past 18 months I have found my own diet developing and changing, so that I am now comfortable with the amounts of carbs I eat, and know when a treat is possible and 'allowed'🙂 I've always been a person who diesn't have to worry too much about what they eat, but now I do take care not to snack carelessly as I did before - I've come to learn that I used to nibble a lot due to boredom rather than hunger!

You've provided a great example to us all Toby, thanks for sharing it!🙂

Hi Toby, glad you've said what you've said! And glad you're achieving tighter control these days! Well done.

So you're another promoter of DAFNE, they've got a lot of them! I've recently turned one down, saying I'll do one next year, but I promise I will.

Regarding eating, I have cut back to a degree on carbs, but having read your thread never realised that a reason could be to stop a high spike and high levels, I was doing it to have more of an idea of my intake and inject less insulin! How stupid does that sound!! Either way I have also noticed that I am eating less, and I don't quite know why, I used to demolish anything, last two nights I've effectively had beans on toast for tea! (I know with a lot of carbs!) Is this insulin related, me being aware of what I'm eating or just one of those things! I go for the latter as I don't like saying everything is because of the dreaded D!

Cheers

Rossi 🙂

PS Rambling is good😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back