Just want to check this sentence...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossi_mac

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Not sure where to post this..

I picked up a guide to diabetes in a major supermarket, probably a couple of months a go, only just read it! It's generally good, as it is very hard to cover everything. Anyway I'm contacting them to make a few suggestions, but my main gripe is the first sentence of the first paragraph, can you read it and tell me all what you think...

"Diabetes is a condition which develops when the amount of glucose (sugar) in the blood becomes too high because the body is unable to either convert it into energy or to store it."

Many thanks

Rossi🙂

Back to front in my view. Diabetes is a condition where there is insufficent insulin to metabolise glucose fully resulting in elevated blood glucose levels. This if untreated can cause.................and even lead to death.....etc...

Or something along those lines. Brain to worn out my Micros**t today to get into authoring mode. Also got Excel eyes. Need another drink!

I was thinking but not sure what head I have on at the moment, that the sentence was wrong!??

Hello,

I think it's a bit back to front too. I'd have said "Diabetes is a condition caused by the pancreas not producing enough insulin or the body becoming resistant to the insulin it produces. This stops the body being able to convert food into energy and causes blood sugar levels to rise."

But what do I know 😉

NiVZ

I think NIVz is right, that's how it was explained to me anyway.

Hi there

It's more or less what it says in the book 'The Diabetes guide'....produced by the NHS in association with Diabetes UK.

...can you read it and tell me all what you think...

"Diabetes is a condition which develops when the amount of glucose (sugar) in the blood becomes too high because the body is unable to either convert it into energy or to store it."
Rossi🙂

Well, it's correct but depends on how quickly they then go on to say WHY the body can't use or store it i.e. insufficient insulin or insulin resistance.

Who produced the leaflet Rossi.....the supermarket chain or a professional working in diabetes management?

Cheers all, I think it's done in association with some health care team!

I guess the way I read it, a long gap before they go on to explain the next point, made me think it sounded wrong, like if we eat lots of sweets and have high blood sugar levels we get Diabetes!??!

I'll shut up now and go back to the night harvested Australian red!

Cheers again

Rossi🙂

Enjoy Rossi...i'm going back to my box of chocs that reside in my head 24/7!

The sentance doesn't read well for me, but I'd like to see the rest of the leaflet to see the sentance in context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back