Just started Humulin I

Status
Not open for further replies.

CELTICDUFF

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Good morning, I started Humulin I on Friday 10 units. There has been no change in my readings . How long does it take for it to take effect?
Thank You

Hi. I believe it takes Humulin I 1-2 hours to get going and an activity profile of about 12 hours total, so you would expect to see an effect within that 12 hour period from day one BUT it is likely that they have started you off on a low dose and will gradually increase it until they find the right dose for you. This is important because everyone responds differently to insulin and if you get too much you will end up hypo. It is also kinder to the tiny blood vessels in the eyes and feet to bring levels down slowly with insulin, so again, low dose to start and increase it gently until you find the balance point. Hopefully your nurse will be checking in with you next week to see how you are getting on and increase the dose if necessary.

Also, are you just injecting it once a day or twice a day?

My experience is pretty much what @rebrascora suggested

Started on 10, had a follow up appointment within a couple of weeks and was then shown how to adjust it myself. I saw some benefits in those couple of weeks but it did take some adjustments to really start to see numbers reduce.

I've ended up on different insulins but started out on humulin i 🙂

Thank rebrascora and Gll am on it once per day . My readings in the morning are about 17-19 mmols so will definitely need adjustments.

Slow and steady is the way to come down from levels like that.
Is your nurse contacting you this coming week to see how you are getting on?

What time of day do you take the Humulin i @CELTICDUFF ? It only lasts around 12 hours (sometimes a bit less if it’s a small dose).

I was told to talk Dalit in the morning. So I take it around 5 am. It’s Humulin I which I was told is long lasting.

No problem - I knew what you meant 🙂 Yes, Humulin i is a long-acting insulin in comparison to fast insulins that are used for meals and only last a few hours. However, it doesn’t last 24 hrs. I’m Type 1 and when I go back to injections (I have an insulin pump usually) I use a similar insulin to Humulin i. I have to inject it twice a day to provide cover over 24 hrs. I can ‘see’ it running out when I look at my blood sugar results.

Obviously as a Type 2 just started on insulin, your needs won’t be the same as mine, but it would be worth keeping in mind that your Humulin i will have run out or be running out by the following morning. Understanding how the insulins work and what they’re supposed to be doing specifically is a real help. Never be afraid to ask questions of your doctor or nurse.

Hope with a few dose tweaks you gradually start to see your levels begin to come down @CELTICDUFF

Might be worth doing a few daytime checks too, so that you get a sense of how things are going when the insulin is operating at full strength?

I was put on it once a day at first with the idea that taking the load off daytime/meals would mean body can keep up overnight with natural production and be able to fill in the gaps.
A smaller evening dose was added until it was clear that wasn't really working out either.
I'm sure it works for some as if not they wouldn't use it.

Cheers gll. Yes I would imagine that to some it’s very effective for some . I hope that they can work it out ideally a long acting one . Although getting on top of it is the priority

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back