Just realised how I tend to stay on track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I bought all the usual things for Christmas about a week before, and have got past 12th night and have just eaten my first taste of Christmas pudding - and very nice it was with some double cream.
I have two bottles of cream, opened the first one to put on the pudding.
The carrots need to be used, and half the parsnips are still in the fridge, the swedes are untouched, the freezer has hardly any room even now...
I opened a box of chocolates and left them where my husband would find them and there is another box still in the kitchen untouched.
There is a tin of salmon somewhere - wonder where I put that.... The coleslaw is in the bin unused, the sprouts are lurking in the freezer unopened, the walnuts are still around somewhere, and the exotic looking little squash is looking distinctly smug.
I bought a melon, found that a few days ago very ripe indeed.
Contrary to many claims made over the years, I do not indulge or gorge - even when given the opportunity. I am simply not hungry so I potter along on two meals a day no bother at all.

I am sat reading this having just cut a small slice of our home made Christmas cake, with some wensleydale. Eeking it out for as long as I can. I have no power of resistance so just get better at estimating the carbs as I work my way through. But I will have forgotten by next year, and planning to make my own marzipan next time, so I shall just have to do the experiment all over agin!

I bought all the usual things for Christmas about a week before, and have got past 12th night and have just eaten my first taste of Christmas pudding - and very nice it was with some double cream.
I have two bottles of cream, opened the first one to put on the pudding.
The carrots need to be used, and half the parsnips are still in the fridge, the swedes are untouched, the freezer has hardly any room even now...
I opened a box of chocolates and left them where my husband would find them and there is another box still in the kitchen untouched.
There is a tin of salmon somewhere - wonder where I put that.... The coleslaw is in the bin unused, the sprouts are lurking in the freezer unopened, the walnuts are still around somewhere, and the exotic looking little squash is looking distinctly smug.
I bought a melon, found that a few days ago very ripe indeed.
Contrary to many claims made over the years, I do not indulge or gorge - even when given the opportunity. I am simply not hungry so I potter along on two meals a day no bother at all.
Could you work on improving meal planning to reduce the food wastage?

That sounds worse than the third circle of hell.
I spent my Christmas enjoying my food.
A controlled appetite, an enjoyment of good food and drink, it's a pleasure, not a curse.
Turkey, stuffing of various sorts, yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots, sprouts, gravy, followed by Christmas pudding and brandy sauce, the wine, the port, the brandy....

Why would anyone not want to feel the enjoyment from that?

And all the leftovers kept us going into the new year.

Turkey curry, boxing day pie.....
Nothing goes in the bin.

That sounds worse than the third circle of hell.
I spent my Christmas enjoying my food.
A controlled appetite, an enjoyment of good food and drink, it's a pleasure, not a curse.
Turkey, stuffing of various sorts, yorkshire puddings, roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots, sprouts, gravy, followed by Christmas pudding and brandy sauce, the wine, the port, the brandy....

Why would anyone not want to feel the enjoyment from that?

And all the leftovers kept us going into the new year.

Turkey curry, boxing day pie.....
Nothing goes in the bin.
May I ask if it is the case that you do not need to limit your carbs much, within the constraint of avoiding weight regain, in order to avoid abnormal bg spikes?

May I ask if it is the case that you do not need to limit your carbs much, within the constraint of avoiding weight regain, in order to avoid abnormal bg spikes?

At the start, when I was diagnosed, I took all the meds I was prescribed to give me some breathing space to decide the best way forwards for me.
I was bombarded with "go low carb" (not from this site I must add).
But instead I worked with my NHS team and instead focused on overall health, not just BG.
Low carb wouldn't have suited my lifestyle, I travelled, ate out, and couldn't really plan food.
It would have been worse than having diabetes to me to stop all that
Simply eating less overall would work for me.
And losing weight seemed to be the best treatment personally.
I did a structured diet with them, low fat and low calorie. (Fat is twice as calorific as carbs and protein).
They provided a meter so we could structure low GI carbs into the diet, so BG didn't spike.
They also supported my getting into an exercise regime.
After a year I was considerably lighter, and off all meds apart from Metformin.
I wasn't quite reversed, but the Newcastle diet had just hit the news.
No guarantee, and I think it was about eleven people had done it.
I was quite skinny by then, but I decided eight weeks on an 800 calorie shake based diet wouldn't kill me.
So I did it, and did indeed reverse my diabetes.
I resisted being taken off Metformin for a while, but in the end my doctor took me off regardless.
(Since then, TOFI has been suggested, thin outside, fat inside, so maybe I was at that stage)
Overall I lost five stones.
I eat a healthy Mediterranean style diet now, I still avoid too much fat as it's pointless double calories, carbs don't cause weight gain, calories do for me, and most others, but if I put a few pounds back on, (mostly in the mirror) I just have a few shakes until I'm happy again.
Again, I'm happy to rob Peter to pay Paul, I'm on a reduced calorie diet now, and a dry January to pay for the Christmas parties. 🙂

As to BG spikes, I admit I'm not overboard on them, but none diabetes do spike to ten at times, the real world isn't as well controlled as some try to be.
Testing is good, so long as it's understood.
Having said that, I don't really test now, I still have annual blood tests, so long as they come back normal, I'm happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the start, when I was diagnosed, I took all the meds I was prescribed to give me some breathing space to decide the best way forwards for me.
But instead I worked with my NHS team and instead focused on overall health, not just BG.
Low carb wouldn't have suited my lifestyle, I travelled, ate out, and couldn't really plan food.
I did a structured diet with them, low fat and low calorie. (Fat is twice as calorific as carbs and protein).
They provided a meter so we could structure low GI carbs into the diet, so BG didn't spike.
I was quite skinny by then, but I decided eight weeks on an 800 calorie shake based diet wouldn't kill me.
I resisted being taken off Metformin for a while, but in the end my doctor took me off regardless.
(Since then, TOFI has been suggested, thin outside, fat inside, so maybe I was at that stage)
I eat a healthy Mediterranean style diet now, I still avoid too much fat as it's pointless double calories, carbs don't cause weight gain, calories do for me, and most others, but if I put a few pounds back on, (mostly in the mirror) I just have a few shakes until I'm happy again.
Again, I'm happy to rob Peter to pay Paul, I'm on a reduced calorie diet now, and a dry January to pay for the Christmas parties. 🙂

As to BG spikes, I admit I'm not overboard on them, but none diabetes do spike to ten at times, the real world isn't as well controlled as some try to be.
Having said that, I don't really test now, I still have annual blood tests, so long as they come back normal, I'm happy.
Thank you for the extensive reply. My interest is in the question of why many people get their a1c down to low figures after very high ones at diagnosis, but find thereafter that they have no choice but to go low carb because that now low a1c masks an underlying roller coaster of post prandial bg highs and lows. Thus although they have been classed as being in “remission” their metabolism has not truly normalised.

I will add that I got my a1c down from 74 To 42 two years ago and have kept it there, and am still experimenting to see whether I should worry about macronutrient proportions.

Thank you for the extensive reply. My interest is in the question of why many people get their a1c down to low figures after very high ones at diagnosis, but find thereafter that they have no choice but to go low carb because that now low a1c masks an underlying roller coaster of post prandial bg highs and lows. Thus although they have been classed as being in “remission” their metabolism has not truly normalised.

Some highs and lows are normal, but it does seem a lot of remission now includes diet control for life.
But for the future, it may happen to me one day, but for now, I don't consider macro nutrient proportions.

Some highs and lows are normal, but it does seem a lot of remission now includes diet control for life.
But for the future, it may happen to me one day, but for now, I don't consider macro nutrient proportions.
Thank you for these observations.

Personally, I’d rather eat Carbs than avoid them due to this reason that if I avoid them, of course my HbA1C will be controlled by default, maybe I’m nudging the boundaries but I’m in remission so my body should and can cope - of course, if I overdo things, eventually I’d be back to square one, which is why my diet has completely changed and I probably don’t eat half as many carbs as I used to, but I don’t count them, that would feel too restrictive…and for longevity I’d rather have a little of something I like than resist until I can’t resist any longer and totally overdo things…

… I’m in remission so my body should and can cope
This remark is what I’d like to be true of myself, but it begs several questions. In particular, what is the criterion by which we can best tell if our body is indeed coping? Good a1c would not be sufficiently incisive for me. Pre and post prandial bg testing might tell me enough, I suppose. Our problem is that once we get our a1c down the NHS does not do anything to really ascertain our true metabolic state - we are off the radar and left to flounder around on our own.

This remark is what I’d like to be true of myself, but it begs several questions. In particular, what is the criterion by which we can best tell if our body is indeed coping? Good a1c would not be sufficiently incisive for me. Pre and post prandial bg testing might tell me enough, I suppose. Our problem is that once we get our a1c down the NHS does not do anything to really ascertain our true metabolic state - we are off the radar and left to flounder around on our own.

We all have to find our own level.
If I have normal bloods, (across the board, not just Hba1c) normal insulin and glucose response, and by normal, I do mean normal, not an elevated standard, and no complications, that's enough for me to carry on with my lifestyle.

Yep, I’d agree with that a it’s very much up to ourselves…

I tried a FreeStyle Libre 2 for 2 weeks which told me enough about how my body was coping, as well as morning BG finger prick checks - I don’t do either now, as I’m happy all is doing as it should - just with Hba1C checks every 6 months - if I carried on with finger prick checks etc I’d had run myself into the ground with stress, which would have increase BG anyway!

I think there comes a point where you have to get on with life knowing and enjoying new habits, having a much better understanding of food, enjoying much more exercise and generally enjoying life 😉

We all have to find our own level.
If I have normal bloods, (across the board, not just Hba1c) normal insulin and glucose response, and by normal, I do mean normal, not an elevated standard, and no complications, that's enough for me to carry on with my lifestyle.
Yep, same for me really😉

Yep, I’d agree with that a it’s very much up to ourselves…

I tried a FreeStyle Libre 2 for 2 weeks which told me enough about how my body was coping, as well as morning BG finger prick checks - I don’t do either now, as I’m happy all is doing as it should - just with Hba1C checks every 6 months - if I carried on with finger prick checks etc I’d had run myself into the ground with stress, which would have increase BG anyway!

I think there comes a point where you have to get on with life knowing and enjoying new habits, having a much better understanding of food, enjoying much more exercise and generally enjoying life 😉
Good point! Thanks!

I spent a lot of time testing initially.
Not so much to see spikes, more to see how I reacted to heat, cold, exercise, inactivity, and a million other things, and also how normal people react.
Also, BG response charges with age, so a meter for a type 2 is a good instrument, but it's quite a blunt one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back