Just having one of those days todays and I don’t get why .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacinta (Australian)

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello lovelies ,
Unfortnately I’m just having one of those days where I miss eating properly and the foods I enjoy like cherries and mangoes , peaches and nectarines an all of the Christmas food. I know my blood sugars are back to normal but as it gets closer to Christmas it’s just starting to get a bit harder that’s all I honestly don’t want to go back to having high blood sugars again that made me feel like utter crap. . I also miss those tinned biscuits at Christmas time aswell especially since they been bringing them into work . Some days it’s just hard to go to the supermarket to get food as I feel like I’m missing out on the yummy foodies aka Christmas food .

Can we still eat Christmas ham ???? Or is it a test your bloods and see ??

One thing I don’t understand is how did I end up with getting diabetes even though it says I don’t have any antibodies at all but is it the fact I did it to myself by not eating all the right foods / sugar / becoming over weight or was it the fact my grandpa having it, but he was skinny and he controlled it by diet and exercise. Sorry guys for the rant , mind is just jumping all over the place and I wish it didn’t .

Please don’t beat yourself up! What causes diabetes is a complex thing. The media don’t help by making out that all type 2s (if they can even be bothered to point out that there is more than one type) are lazy goodfornothings who just sit around eating cakes and sweets all day. Which might be true in a minority of cases but for most people it is not! Obesity CAN be a factor but it is not the only one; genetics also play a part, as does a lot of luck!

Ham is just meat so you should be able to eat that with no problem, unless it’s got some sort of carby coating, but you could cut that off. I think also many people treat Christmas Day and their birthdays as special occasions and allow themselves to enjoy themselves and eat a bit more freely than they normally would, then get back on track again the next day. How much freedom you allow yourself depends on how high you can cope with your blood sugars going for just one day, or whether you think you would then be tempted to continue eating like that. It’s a tough decision but you can work something out, perhaps allow yourself a treat of the one thing you’ll miss the most?

Sorry guys for the rant , mind is just jumping all over the place and I wish it didn’t .
Please don't feel that you need to apologise for a rant. That is one of the reason the forum is here - to let off steam to a group of people/friends who understand.

Have you thought about trying a Christmas biscuit and testing what the effect is on your blood sugar levels? Or do you feel that could be the start of a slippery slope? Christmas biscuits often contain a lot of butter (it's what makes them taste so good). The fat will slow down the carb absorption so your body may be able to manage it.

Hi. I've already started wondering about Christmas being my first one as type 2 - more concerned with Boxing Day when my family will all be together here and I'd like to just do a buffet-type meal. I have found this site HERE which is all about Christmas, I'm hoping to try out some of the recipes beforehand to see what they are like - though I'm sure there must be many other low carb/keto sites that also cover Christmas and other "holidays". Make biscuits to take to work with you, share those and keep some by so you can enjoy one of your low carb ones - just remember you are treating your body the best way to keep it from getting poorly again. I guess it will be a hard time for all of us - I know I am shouting at the tv with all the adverts for food "what about us diabetics - where are our goodies???!!!" - guess we will have to cater for ourselves on the whole.
Ham should be okay, especially if you are talking of the one you cook yourself, such as gammon - soak well first to get the excess salt out. It is mainly the ham we buy sliced in packets, the processed kind, that are not good for us, I cooked gammon in slow cooker in coke zero, it was fabulous and didn't affect my BG - but, yes, testing afterwards is a good idea. Go for a walk after eating, that will help too.

As ham is meat, of course you can eat it - and the goose and beef and pork, the sausages and bacon, and you can make extravagant trifles with sugar free jelly or gelatine, real custard, cream and add fruit too when it is Christmas.
Don't forget the salmon and other fish and the seafood - try making wraps from the egg and cheese mixtures used for cheese waffles, aka chaffles, as they are just about zero carbs and handy for salad and something consumption.

Please don’t beat yourself up! What causes diabetes is a complex thing. The media don’t help by making out that all type 2s (if they can even be bothered to point out that there is more than one type) are lazy goodfornothings who just sit around eating cakes and sweets all day. Which might be true in a minority of cases but for most people it is not! Obesity CAN be a factor but it is not the only one; genetics also play a part, as does a lot of luck!

Ham is just meat so you should be able to eat that with no problem, unless it’s got some sort of carby coating, but you could cut that off. I think also many people treat Christmas Day and their birthdays as special occasions and allow themselves to enjoy themselves and eat a bit more freely than they normally would, then get back on track again the next day. How much freedom you allow yourself depends on how high you can cope with your blood sugars going for just one day, or whether you think you would then be tempted to continue eating like that. It’s a tough decision but you can work something out, perhaps allow yourself a treat of the one thing you’ll miss the most?
Hey Sally71 Thankyou for that , I don’t think I’ll ever understand diabetes unfortnately.

Hello sally71 , Thankyou so much for that , the day I posted this was just one of my low ones I don’t have them often but I guess that day it decided to show up . I honestly dislike media and wish they would research and then just come out with the truth of what diabetes is instead of them twisting the store around about it.
That’s alright then ham is delicious , we only get the one from the supermarket it’s just plan and we cut it up and freeze the rest of it . I’m honestly looking into that but I don’t want to think it will be an everyday thing and I’ll still be able to control myself and go back to low carb eating after Christmas food . That’s what I was sort of thinking maybe allow myself one thing I miss then I should be okay at the moment I’m on top of everything and saying no I can’t eat it but sometimes I feel like I get judged then them asking why when I’m not ready to say I’m a diabetic so I just usually say I don’t like the taste of it or I get brain freezes depends on what they are offering at the time .

Please don't feel that you need to apologise for a rant. That is one of the reason the forum is here - to let off steam to a group of people/friends who understand.

Have you thought about trying a Christmas biscuit and testing what the effect is on your blood sugar levels? Or do you feel that could be the start of a slippery slope? Christmas biscuits often contain a lot of butter (it's what makes them taste so good). The fat will slow down the carb absorption so your body may be able to manage it.

Hello Helli
Thankyou for that , defianetly needed to express myself .

I have defiantly thought about that and seeing if blood sugars will go off or not but I was also thinking could you possibly dip the biscuit in peanut butter (low carb) and would that slow down the carbs in it ?
This biscuit I’m pretty sure is a lot more butter , it’s in a blue tin that people mistaken after you have eaten all the biscuits and people use it for stitching and buttons, needles and thread .

I just think it’s the possibility of just wanting one to see if I miss it and like literally enjoy it so that feeling goes away .

As ham is meat, of course you can eat it - and the goose and beef and pork, the sausages and bacon, and you can make extravagant trifles with sugar free jelly or gelatine, real custard, cream and add fruit too when it is Christmas.
Don't forget the salmon and other fish and the seafood - try making wraps from the egg and cheese mixtures used for cheese waffles, aka chaffles, as they are just about zero carbs and handy for salad and something consumption.
Hello Drummer

Would you recommend any good real custard receipes by any chance ??? I’m glad I can still eat ham I don’t think I could give that up to be honest , I still love a good Christmas ham .
Ahh yesss can’t forget salmon 🙂 . I’m still one to actually get a waffle machine to make chaffles and turn it into a sand which or a burger 🙂 .

Hi. I've already started wondering about Christmas being my first one as type 2 - more concerned with Boxing Day when my family will all be together here and I'd like to just do a buffet-type meal. I have found this site HERE which is all about Christmas, I'm hoping to try out some of the recipes beforehand to see what they are like - though I'm sure there must be many other low carb/keto sites that also cover Christmas and other "holidays". Make biscuits to take to work with you, share those and keep some by so you can enjoy one of your low carb ones - just remember you are treating your body the best way to keep it from getting poorly again. I guess it will be a hard time for all of us - I know I am shouting at the tv with all the adverts for food "what about us diabetics - where are our goodies???!!!" - guess we will have to cater for ourselves on the whole.
Ham should be okay, especially if you are talking of the one you cook yourself, such as gammon - soak well first to get the excess salt out. It is mainly the ham we buy sliced in packets, the processed kind, that are not good for us, I cooked gammon in slow cooker in coke zero, it was fabulous and didn't affect my BG - but, yes, testing afterwards is a good idea. Go for a walk after eating, that will help too.
Hello hun , yes this is my first Christmas as a type 2 so I’m still learning everything I’ve been good so far in turning down foods I know I can’t eat , I’m thinking low carb peanut butter will soon be my friend if I want to slow down the carbs in foods . I’m still yet to try apples and peanut butter. I still scream at the tv saying all that and where are the low carb options .

The ham we get for Christmas is from the supermarket but it’s the plan ones with no marniate on it at all . I’ll have a try around and see how it goes .
I’ll defianetly will go for a walk afterwards .

Hello Drummer

Would you recommend any good real custard receipes by any chance ??? I’m glad I can still eat ham I don’t think I could give that up to be honest , I still love a good Christmas ham .
Ahh yesss can’t forget salmon 🙂 . I’m still one to actually get a waffle machine to make chaffles and turn it into a sand which or a burger 🙂 .
Just old fashioned eggs and cream is what I use, adding various colours and flavours as the mood takes me. I don't add sweetener as I usual eat it with sugar free jelly or gelatine mixed with berries, for trifle I usually sieve out the seeds after letting the berries thaw
Any meat, fish or seafood should be fine. Eggs and cheese - you can make low carb crackers very easily.

Just old fashioned eggs and cream is what I use, adding various colours and flavours as the mood takes me. I don't add sweetener as I usual eat it with sugar free jelly or gelatine mixed with berries, for trifle I usually sieve out the seeds after letting the berries thaw
Any meat, fish or seafood should be fine. Eggs and cheese - you can make low carb crackers very easily.
Thankyou very much drummer I really appericate it , what type of cream would you recommend ???

Sounds good to me 🙂

So if I dip a biscuit in peanut butter would it slow down in the carbs ????
i don’t understand why you need to dip a fat heavy the biscuit (assuming it is made with butter) in anything for an experiment.
It will only be a one off if it makes your levels rise too much which won’t lead to long lasting complications.
And is a much simpler exercise than making a whole batch of keto biscuits which you may not enjoy.

My advice is to try one normal unadulterated Christmas biscuit with a finger prick test before and two hours later.

The wisest post I have read on the subject of food around Christmas (and other festivities) is by Jennifer of ‘Jennifer’s Advice’

It is shared on Alan S’s blog here

I've been thinking about the upcoming season of joy, love and food.
With the holidays coming up, give yourself permission to be human.There is a lot of great food that will be out there soon. Don't try to steel yourself against all of it. You most likely won't be able to, and then you'll have guilt on top of it.

Choose your times. And then enjoy a piece of cake. A dollop of mashed potato. That holiday cookie that only shows up once a year. Make it your CHOICE, not a moment of weakness that will haunt you. That way you'll be able to enjoy it so much more, AND not fall into the "well I messed up, might as well eat the plateful".

The other side is all the family you're likely to be around this season. Some may decide that they know what you should or shouldn't be eating. They'll announce loudly, "Sara can't have that, she has the diabetes". Exhausting. Or they'll push food on you "Oh come on, it's the holidays, you can have a taste". More exhausting.

Whatever you decide to eat or not eat, the most important thing is that YOU control it. If you choose to have something, make it your conscious decision. Not a mindless "What the hell" or a forced "NO" through gritted teeth. You decide. Only you.
…​

Thankyou very much drummer I really appericate it , what type of cream would you recommend ???

Sounds good to me 🙂
Sometimes you just get what there is - I usually use single cream and buy a fair sized tub, but I have also bought the extra thick and diluted it down with more water to the consistency I want, which differs between setting fairly solid when making a cold dessert to being used hot and poured.

Sounds good to me , I’ll defianetly make some custard because I know that’s one thing I miss most . I probably won’t add sweetener as I’ll just eat it with berries yummm.

I’ll defianetly try low carb crackers at the moment I have store bought but they are seeded ones with pumpkin seeds and what not , that goes down a treat with some cheese .

i don’t understand why you need to dip a fat heavy the biscuit (assuming it is made with butter) in anything for an experiment.
It will only be a one off if it makes your levels rise too much which won’t lead to long lasting complications.
And is a much simpler exercise than making a whole batch of keto biscuits which you may not enjoy.

My advice is to try one normal unadulterated Christmas biscuit with a finger prick test before and two hours later.
Hey helli , I think the reason why I did that was just to experiment didn’t do any damage or raised my levels or anything but I promise I won’t do that again. I’m willing to try keto biscuits I’m not really a fussy eater so I. Don’t mind going out of my comfort zone . I’ll defianetly be doing this as the Christmas biscuits are made with butter .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back