Just Diagnosed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Webzcas

Hi, just been diagnosed as of Monday. Even though I knew that it was coming, still in a state of shock. I am 47 and my dad had type 2 for 26 years having been diagnosed when he was 56. He was insulin dependent.

I hate blood, particularly my own and the idea of testing my blood several times a day fills me with abject horror. I have been prescribed pills and also statins, which were picked up Tuesday afternoon.

As of yet I still have not taken anything, let alone even taking the Accu Chek out of its box. My blood sugar was 12.4 when I saw the nurse on Monday afternoon.

This above may sound self pitying and it is in by no way meant to be so, but I am really not ready to accept this news and the fact my life from this point onwards is going to change.

Lifestyle wise I kicked smoking over 7 years ago. Go personal training and karate twice a week and also have a very active dog ( Collie crossed with a Springer aka Sprollie ) that I walk at least twice a day. Whilst my BMI is still classed as overweight, it used to be over 30 and obese, several years back.

Yet, I have out of control blood sugar, high cholesterol and also high blood pressure.

Sorry just putting my thoughts out there. Still shocked to be honest and feel like I want to just run away, but knowing this problem will follow me wherever I go :(

Your feelings are so understandable.

I hope you can see from the many posts on this forum that things can become much better for you in terms of overall health, fitness, wellbeing.

The tough bit is to overcome the initial shock and to engage with it all as best you can.

Sorry to say this but it is unlikely to just go away.

I am sure plenty of people will be along shortly to offer you good helpful advice.

I really hope for the best for you.

All is not lost. It is a terrible shock but fight back! There's hopefully lots you can do to improve your position and make you healthier. Look around at the threads and learning zone and ask lots of questions. Lots of friendly people on here happy to help you. Good luck

Welcome @Webzcas 🙂 A diabetes diagnosis is always a shock. Give yourself time to get your head round it. See it as positive information - because you’ve received an alert that you can now act on. I’m not a fan of blood either but you do get used to it, and you have a good meter there. See the tests as power - information to help you in your fight.

Welcome to the forum @Webzcas

Yes diabetes can come as a real shock, so be kind to yourself and give yourself time to adjust.

Diabetes is a serious condition, but it’s also one that can usually be managed well with a few changes and adaptations - it’s something that you can learn to live well with, and it shouldn’t stop you doing things you enjoy. Try not to be disheartened about your diagnosis, many people on the forum later reflect that their diagnosis became a catalyst which prompted them to make positive changes towards a healthier and more active life. Perhaps changes that they had been intending to make for years.

It sounds like you are already very active and keeping fit - but sometimes our bodies need a bit of extra help and support. Don’t blame yourself or get trapped in the cycle of thinking that this is something you have brought on yourself. A lot of a person’s likelihood of developing diabetes can come down to genes. Two different people could live in just the same way, and one would go on to develop diabetes, while the other never would.

There can be a lot of blame and stigma around a diagnosis with diabetes, and that is really unhelpful. What really matters is how you respond to it, and the steps you can take to manage it. Making a few changes and tweaks to your lifestyle and diet can go a long way to improving your long-term health, and helping your metabolism function well.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on 🙂

Hello @Webzcas. My BG level was 17.1mmol/l at diagnosis.
I reduced the amount of carbohydrate I was eating and that fixed it.
Now my numbers are in the normal ranges and I feel a lot better.

Thanks for the kind comments. Well I still haven't tested my blood, but am taking metformin as prescribed. Still in denial I guess, just in a very very low place now.

Had something from Oviva come through to my phone. I don't want any part of that or indeed any of this. In denial perhaps, but I don't think so.

I haven't been able to work since I got this news, hoping I wake up from this nightmare, but I know I won't. Sorry just venting and even putting down in writing how I feel, helps, even temporarily.

I don't honestly know what I am going to do :(

Thanks for sharing with us @Webzcas

We are here to listen, and folks here will instinctively ‘get it’ and understand where you are coming from.

Welcome @Webzcas. I know the feeling feeling about blood, for me it was/is needles. I remember the first time I checked my blood it took ages to get the courage to do the tiny little jab!If you have an accucheck you may also have their fast click(?) lance. It is really easy and painless to use

I use accu-chek and find it painless, quick and easy to use. I think for me doing the first little jab was the hardest cos you don't know what to expect. One that's done you can feel easier. Good luck.

Hi @Webzcas, I feel your anguish. I was in the same position as you back in August. I too was diagnosed with a blood sugar reading of 12.4 on 10 Aug. I also have a fear of all things medical and blood. I soon got used to doing the finger prick test, it’s really not that bad and now do it 4 times a day without any worries. I had another Hba1c test done early October and my blood sugars had come down to 8. Currently my finger prick test are showing readings between 6 and 7.5 so am expecting my next test to show further improvement. Also lost nearly 2 stone and BMI now just a tad over 25, down from 29. Food wise just got used to living without bread, potatoes and rice. Not eating crisps and biscuits is a pain but initially just want to get this thing under control. The thought of losing limbs and eyesight if left unchecked far outweighed my fear of needles and blood. Good luck with your journey but you can get this under control fairly quickly by following advice of people on here and your Diabetic Nurse.

Hi @Webzcas. I spent a week or more crying! I didn’t want anyone to know I had this thing that I’d brought on myself because I loved chocolate and all things sweet. Once I pulled myself together and began telling people it got better. Once I found out that Steve Redgrave is Type 2 I got a lot better and realised for me (and probably for you) this thing is in our genes and there’s nothing we could have done to stop it. I was so determined to beat it and have reduced my hba1c from 7.2 to 5.8 in 5 months. It was tough giving up the carbs but I am an all or nothing person so preferred to do it quickly than drift in and out. I’m determined that by Christmas I‘ll be in remission. Go for it, you’ve got nothing to lose and everything to gain ❤️

So it has been a few months since I was diagnosed. I still am unable to get on with the lancets, but responded to an advert at the beginning of the month for a free trial of the libre freestyle 2 sensor.

This has been a revelation and as such I am starting to get my blood sugar levels under control. Unfortunately they will not prescribe it for me due to the cost involved, so I have had to stomach the cost of purchasing additional sensors.

Applying the sensor was painless and being able to check my levels whenever I want to is superb. The app on my phone also alerts me if my levels start to get high.

In terms of the neuropathy and the associated pain in my feet, the doctor wanted to prescribe an anti depressant, one that can also make your sugars go haywire. Even though back in December he knew I was unable to test them!

So instead he has prescribed me co-codamol which does actually help, however, now I am managing to control my levels, the pain does not seem anywhere near as bad.

After the review of my data from wearing the sensor for the first two weeks, in addition to the metformin that I am already taking, my diabetic nurse has prescribed me Empagliflozin to take once a day. This touch wood has helped immensely.

I have read that Apple are working on introducing a non invasive blood sugar test in the next version of their watch ( series 8 ) which will be unveiled in the Autumn. If this does come to fruition this will be a game changer!

In terms of my diet, I have cut out fruit juices completely and am ultra careful as to what I put in my body. The sensor and its app being a great asset in helping me do this.

Welcome to the forum @Webzcas

Yes diabetes can come as a real shock, so be kind to yourself and give yourself time to adjust.

Diabetes is a serious condition, but it’s also one that can usually be managed well with a few changes and adaptations - it’s something that you can learn to live well with, and it shouldn’t stop you doing things you enjoy. Try not to be disheartened about your diagnosis, many people on the forum later reflect that their diagnosis became a catalyst which prompted them to make positive changes towards a healthier and more active life. Perhaps changes that they had been intending to make for years.

It sounds like you are already very active and keeping fit - but sometimes our bodies need a bit of extra help and support. Don’t blame yourself or get trapped in the cycle of thinking that this is something you have brought on yourself. A lot of a person’s likelihood of developing diabetes can come down to genes. Two different people could live in just the same way, and one would go on to develop diabetes, while the other never would.

There can be a lot of blame and stigma around a diagnosis with diabetes, and that is really unhelpful. What really matters is how you respond to it, and the steps you can take to manage it. Making a few changes and tweaks to your lifestyle and diet can go a long way to improving your long-term health, and helping your metabolism function well.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on 🙂
I was flabbergasted when I was diagnosed with pre diabetes type 2...I had not eaten bread, pasta and sweet stuff for years due to IBS and was in denial for a long time. I was also in line with my weight and height. I felt cheated as I already had a very restricted diet. Anyway I decided to access my father's death certificate recently and diabetes was one of the factors on the certificate, which explained a lot. I did not know this but have told my lads to just be aware of the symptoms as it may or may not affect them. I had to accept it and get on with it which I do but still think about things I can't eat but would love to. Oh well.
I do make a comment here and there regarding media posts for alternative baking and sweet desserts for more low carb recipes on cooking programmes. They do tend to go overboard with sugary things and high carb foods always.

So instead he has prescribed me co-codamol which does actually help, however, now I am managing to control my levels, the pain does not seem anywhere near as bad.

After the review of my data from wearing the sensor for the first two weeks, in addition to the metformin that I am already taking, my diabetic nurse has prescribed me Empagliflozin to take once a day. This touch wood has helped immensely.

I have read that Apple are working on introducing a non invasive blood sugar test in the next version of their watch ( series 8 ) which will be unveiled in the Autumn. If this does come to fruition this will be a game changer!

In terms of my diet, I have cut out fruit juices completely and am ultra careful as to what I put in my body. The sensor and its app being a great asset in helping me do this.

Great to hear how well you have been getting on, and how the Libre has helped you @Webzcas

Regarding lancets, and fingerpricks - if you have the Accu-Chek MultiClix (with a drum of 6 lancets) you have one of the best! It should be possible to get a drop of blood almost pain-free. And that’s even if you reuse the lancet several times!

When are you next due a follow up. It sounds like you will see a significant difference in your HbA1c.

Oh… and regarding the non-invasive BG sensor - those of us who have been playing this game for a few decades have seen these promises come and go before. It seems sure to happen one day, but don’t get your hopes up too high for anything really workable in a diabetes-management sense to launch this year. 😉

I use accu-chek and find it painless, quick and easy to use. I think for me doing the first little jab was the hardest cos you don't know what to expect. One that's done you can feel easier. Good luck.
thanks to these kind folks I learned how to test my blood glucose. it doesn't really hurt and the blood is a tiny drop.

So it has been a few months since I was diagnosed. I still am unable to get on with the lancets, but responded to an advert at the beginning of the month for a free trial of the libre freestyle 2 sensor.
Good to see you back. Sounds like you have a solution to the needle issue - which s great. You sound a little better in yourself as well - I hope that is the case. Good luck.
Nick

Great to hear how well you have been getting on, and how the Libre has helped you @Webzcas

Regarding lancets, and fingerpricks - if you have the Accu-Chek MultiClix (with a drum of 6 lancets) you have one of the best! It should be possible to get a drop of blood almost pain-free. And that’s even if you reuse the lancet several times!

When are you next due a follow up. It sounds like you will see a significant difference in your HbA1c.
I had that but alas no joy. I ended up turning my fingers into a pin cushion and gave up. I have had in the past two teeth extracted and so know what dental injections are like and for me anyhow they are far more pleasant than the Accu-Chek.

Thankfully this sensor has come to my rescue. It is a painless and bloodless experience applying it and means I can check my levels whenever I want. Furthermore it sets off an alarm on my phone if they go high or low. Although I have not experienced a low as of yet.

I am having another follow up call with the nurse at the end of next week. I am please to see though my levels are coming down and the sensor is helping me ensure it stays within range.

Last edited:
I had that but alas no joy. I ended up turning my fingers into a pin cushion and gave up. I have had in the past two teeth extracted and so know what dental injections are like and to me they are far more pleasant than the Accu-Chek.
Blooming heck! Worse than dental injections? 😱 Sounds like you are/were doing something seriously wrong!!

Pleased you are enjoying the Libre though. It is an amazing bit of kit but not 100% reliable and there are certain times when it is advised to double check with a finger prick.
Do be aware, they can occasionally bleed as they do still involve a needle being fired into your arm. I often get a few spots of blood seeping out of the centre hole after application but just very occasionally you can get one that bleeds more significantly, so do be prepared for that. It is usually only for a few minutes at most and the bleeders are often more accurate.

I genuinely can’t imagine what you could have been doing with the accu chek finger pricker to be worse than dental injections! Accu chek is the best out there and pretty much pain free if used correctly. Were you setting it to the lowest setting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back