Just diagnosed

Status
Not open for further replies.

indoorscape

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Just been diagnosed after feeling extremely tired thirsty peeing a lot blurred vision and 2stone weight loss.
Hba1c 128 nurse not sure if I'm type 1 or 2 as I'm not over weight and have lost weight without trying over a couple of months.

Just been diagnosed after feeling extremely tired thirsty peeing a lot blurred vision and 2stone weight loss.
Hba1c 128 nurse not sure if I'm type 1 or 2 as I'm not over weight and have lost weight without trying over a couple of months.
Hello, and welcome to the forum. I’m glad your nurse is on the ball and is considering Type 1 or LADA (which is essentially a slower onset Type 1). So many people have been pigeonholed into Type 2 just because of their age, when all the signs are pointing to Type 1. It is a bit of a whirl of information overload, practicalities, etc at this stage, as well as sorting out insulin or other meds, etc, so do keep asking questions, and shout for help on here any time you need answers, or are just feeling overwhelmed. We have all been there, and know what it’s like.

Welcome to the forum! Your story sounds similar to mine. I was diagnosed just under 4 years ago at the age of 41. The first doctor in the hospital thought I was type 2, whereas the 2nd was adamant that I was type 1. My keytones were through the roof and almost identical symptoms to the ones you describe. I dropped from 11 1/2 stone to just under 10 in a month or so.

Robin has hit the nail on the head. The forum is incredibly helpful, not just for diabetes related queries and questions, but also helping with coping strategies, mental health issues etc.

Welcome from me as well.

Hi indoorscape, welcome to the forum.

Many people on the forum started with symptoms such as yours so you're in good company. Getting a diagnosis can be a bit tricky when you get these symptoms as an adult so hopefully you'll get some clarity soon.

We've got a wealth of info on the site so do have a read and let us know if there's anything we can help with.

Welcome to the forum @indoorscape from another late starter with T1 (or LADA)
Like you I lost weight very rapidly and I didn’t have much to lose.

There is a lot to take on board at the start so do come back with any questions that you have.
Have they tested for T1? This might be a GAD antibody test, which picks up if these are in your blood. They are the culprits for the destruction of our Beta Cells which are responsible for making insulin. Another test is a c-peptide test which measures how much insulin your body is making. This is a more expensive test and not always used at diagnosis.

As @Robin says it takes a bit of time to get your insulin doses sorted to suit you, and they will often want to bring your glucose levels down slowly. There is loads of experience to tap into on here, so just fire away with any questions that you have.

Hi and welcome from another late starter.

I was diagnosed 2.5 years ago after sudden onset symptoms like you describe and initially thought to be Type 2 but didn't respond to Type 2 medication and strict low carb diet, so started on insulin 6 weeks later and tested for Type 1 a couple of months later.
Have they started you on insulin yet and if so which ones? It all seems incredibly complicated in the beginning but hang in there because it does get easier and you will find the forum a gold mine of information and tips from others who have been where you are now. It can be very overwhelming but be kind and patient with yourself and it will gradually just become a part of your daily routine.... albeit a frustrating and irritating part some of the time. Shout up if there is anything you don't understand and we will do our best to provide answers. The forum is great for filling in the gaps and going over information that the nurse probably told you but went in one ear and out of the other, because I think most of us were too shell shocked to take everything in during those relatively short appointments.

I’m +45 days from identical symptoms and with blood glucose levels up to 33 (hyperglycaemia). Injecting insulin to control it.

The useful tests by my GP were: CT scan (to check pancreas), c-peptide blood test + some arithmetic (calculate how much insulin the pancreas is producing), anti-glutamic acid decarboxylase antibody blood test (the presence of GAD autoantibodies indicates an immune system attack, which points to type 1 diabetes ), islet cell antibody test (this blood test is useful to help distinguish autoimmune type 1 diabetes from type 2 diabetes) and many others. I think I was lucky but the GP had some ground to make up as they allowed a diagnosis of Urinary Tract Infection disguise the underlying cause - no face to face GP contact and an appointment with my usual GP impossible was extremely damaging.

Access to your online patient records is really useful.

I'm pleased they've done these 'proper' tests now, notwithstanding whatever reasons you're attributing to them doing them! The important thing is that they've done em. Hence, you're likely to get a proper diagnosis sooner rather than later - so can get on with living your life, without a big question mark hanging over your head like the sword of Damocles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back