Just curious ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emzi

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
...has anyone been told to or currently splits their slow acting insulin into 2 injections at different times of the day?

(forgive me coz im stil trying to figure out which one is bolus and the other i dont know 🙄)

I saw a dietician on Wednesday ad she suggested i split my levemir - i normally take 34 units before bed but she suggested spilting it and having 17 at night and 17 midday.

Has anyone heard of this or currently does this? and how do you find it? plus im not sure about having ANOTHER injection in the daytime and carrying more supplies round with me. Just thought id see what people thought.

Thanks 🙂

Hello

I split my levemir doses, but that is because I need much less at night than during the day. I have 10units at 7:30am, and only 2units at 7:30pm. This helps (a bit) with the night time hypos I get.

Rachel

My DSN talked of me having to split mine when it was causing me to have hypos in the night.
Although, i did just move the time to midday and im fine now..

What is the reasoning it was suggested to you?

I split my Levemir hun. I do 20 at night and 20 midday =) I was going hypo at 3am then high at bout 6pm otherwise x

Hi Emma, it's quite common to split slow-acting insulin, particularly levemir, as it doesn't last for 24 hours in most people. Splitting it helps the full day's cover, and also in some people (as above) it helps keep levels more even as they may have more or less insulin resistance at different times of the day and night. Lantus lasts for around 22 hours (sometimes less) and I believe one dose of levemir rarely lasts longer than 18 hours.

🙂

I was told by my DSN and dr to split my Levemir too, I take 66u in the morning and 70 at night.

I was told by my DSN and dr to split my Levemir too, I take 66u in the morning and 70 at night.

Jesus! 😱
I dont take that much in a week!!

I do not split mine ither, i did think levimer lasted 24 hours not 18,
Squidge that is a lot of insulin lol :D

I use lantus and split it into 2 doses, 9pm and 7am-ish. I found that it gives mee better coverage and I don't start goign high as it's running out. The other benefit of injecting in 2 seperate doses is better absorbtion.

You might find that you need to tweek from an equal split but it's a reasonable start and then you can go from there.

I also split my Levemir, like you squidge I take 70 units am and 70 units pm

Then throughout the day about 120 units of Novorapid in total

John

Jesus! 😱
I dont take that much in a week!!

I do not split mine ither, i did think levimer lasted 24 hours not 18,
Squidge that is a lot of insulin lol :D

Yup, I sometimes feel like I should just be plugged into a tank of Levemir lol plus my pen ends at 70 so if it goes up anymore looks like it will be 2 injections at night unless you get pens that go higher....

I also split my Levemir, like you squidge I take 70 units am and 70 units pm

Then throughout the day about 120 units of Novorapid in total

John
I take about the same amount of Novorapid as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back