just came across this

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen something similar fairly recently and it may have been that.

I don't doubt that what it says is correct, within the confines of how the study was set up.

But I think that it falls down when applied to individuals. Personally, I doubt that I would have got such good control so quickly without regularly testing shortly after diagnosis.

Andy

Last edited:
I have not read in full yet, and agree that testing is the way to go only that way do people find out what effects them most but it is a pain to try and get strips on scrips.I plan to read this fully bit bit.

I think similar to andy, just after diagnosis testing is essential to find out what foods do what in order to actually come up with a suitable diet to go with the oral treatments................also people bodies and responses to food change, so again, testing must be done to restablish a suitable diet....

Some people might not need to test ever again after diagnosis but the reality is probably the opposite..........

I'll see if there is a hard copy where I work and have a read through.

I'm also with Andy. Without having had the ability to test as often as I wished in the early weeks after diagnosis I would have had no idea how certain foods affect my numbers and would be in even worse case now as a result. As it is my numbers are often erratic, not because of what I eat, but because of the degree of function of my pancreas on any given day.

I was given no training on how to use the meter or how to interpret the results and record them, I had to work all that out for myself. I believe that, in order to present statistically significant results, any study into the benefits of self-monitoring in Type 2s needs to include that training so that particiapants understand the importance of recording the exact data their monitor is showing them. I haven't read through the whole thing but it looks to me as though the whole exercise was pretty badly designed so that the results are not particularly reliable. Or are we simply an especially narrow cross-section of the population in that we mostly consider testing to be a valuable tool for all diabetics that, had we been included in the study, we might have tipped the balance the other way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back