Just bought my first glucose monitor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevsterman

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic last December but since then I've been in a bit of a state of denial and haven't really done anything to change my lifestyle. I'm still overweight and also suffer from Lichen Planus and post nasal drip, two conditions which I've read can be exhasberated by diabetes. So realising that I need to get on top of things I decided to buy a glucose monitor and see where I'm at. I did my first reading a moment ago and it was 18 which I think is pretty high? I'm after some advice as to when to use the monitor. When is the best time to take a reading and what should a good reading look like?

I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic last December but since then I've been in a bit of a state of denial and haven't really done anything to change my lifestyle. I'm still overweight and also suffer from Lichen Planus and post nasal drip, two conditions which I've read can be exhasberated by diabetes. So realising that I need to get on top of things I decided to buy a glucose monitor and see where I'm at. I did my first reading a moment ago and it was 18 which I think is pretty high? I'm after some advice as to when to use the monitor. When is the best time to take a reading and what should a good reading look like?
welcome to the forum
Brilliant you now have a monitor so you need to use it wisely to do some strategic testing rather than something random as that tells you not a lot. However whenever it was you tested it is very high so is putting you at risk.
Testing in the morning to get a fasting reading when you should be getting 4-7mmol/l, though clearly you are not there yet.
Also to check the effect of meals then test before you eat and after 2 hours when your aim is no more than an increase of 2-3mmol/l. If you are getting more than that then your meals are too carb heavy. The aim once levels are more under good management would be no more than 8-8.5mmol/l.
You would be wise to get some ketone test strips so you can check for ketones as high blood glucose and ketones puts you ate risk of DKA which can be dangerous.
I suggest you get a HbA1C so you can see where you are now.
This link may be useful to you to know what you will need to start to do asap. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

I was diagnosed over 35 years ago and didn't try that hard to control my blood sugars. I've tried most of the available medication but my blood sugars just crept up and up. Now I've got many complications including eye problems and neuropathy in my fingers and toes. I never really believed it would affect me so much. I was recently prescribed Freestyle Libre sensors and although they can be unreliable they've really opened my eyes onto how my eating affects my blood sugars. I think if I'd had access to the sensors years ago, I would have tried a bit harder to keep my blood sugar within target. I got the first one free and even two weeks of monitoring was well worth having. The offer is still available but it takes persistence as the application form is fiddly and I had to keep repeating some screens until I got them right.

Welcome. Just to add to what others have said and standard targets, times of day and meals. You will probably find you will do a certain amount of experimenting to see what's best for you and what works for you. As is the case with many things in life. Good luck.

Nice to see you posting again @Kevsterman, and great that you have got yourself a meter - many members have found that to be a very direct method of tweaking their meals and snacks to make them more BG-friendly.

@Leadinglights has already given you some handy numbers to start with.

To begin with I think I’d be more tempted to concentrate on trying to keep the ‘meal rises’ down to 2-3mmol/L and almost ignore the numbers themselves.

Don’t panic that you are starting at 18, and don’t stress about trying to get your levels back down too quickly. It can be quite hard on your nerve endings and fine blood vessels in the eyes (and dropping too fast can actually cause short term damage). Take things gently, and allow your levels to coast down gently. This is a marathon not a sprint 🙂

Thanks folks for your replies. I tested myself when I woke up and I had a reading of 12.7. Then I had a bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes and 2 hours later the reading was 22.2 so I guess its no more of them for me. A raise of 10mmol/L seems pretty significant 😱

Crunchy Nut Cornflakes are, or at least are as I remember them, quite sweet. I know it's not quite the same but switching to full fat greek yoghurt with some berries and some nuts may at least approach the same sense of something sweet and something nutty in the morning. The added benefit is that it would be much lower in carb than the cereal. And it would keep you fuller for longer.

Q. Do you understand that it's not just sugar but all carbs you need to be mindful of consuming and where those carbs come from?

No judgement if you haven't figured that bit out yet! @rebrascora has the knack of explaining the whole carb thing really well so I've paged her to join the thread 🙂

Thanks folks for your replies. I tested myself when I woke up and I had a reading of 12.7. Then I had a bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes and 2 hours later the reading was 22.2 so I guess its no more of them for me. A raise of 10mmol/L seems pretty significant 😱
Crunchy Nut cornflakes must be the highest carb cereals you could have chosen, not good for anybody really but certainly not if Type 2 diabetic. High blood glucose to start with so choosing a low carb breakfast is important as otherwise your blood glucose will be pushed to dangerously high levels.
The maximum rise you want is 3mmol/mol
Please do look at the various links and posts for lower carb foods.
This is one I have posted before

Mine did that until I nailed down the sugar and carbs. Yesterday I had a 3.9. I would also highly recommend exercise.

Q. Do you understand that it's not just sugar but all carbs you need to be mindful of consuming and where those carbs come from?
Yeah I'm just starting to figure that out. I'm currently reading The Diabetes Code by Dr Jason Fung which is an interesting read. I think I'm going to struggle with a low carb diet as almost everything I eat is carbs! But I'm going to have to from now on. The Freshwell Low Carb Project is a really good site and I'm making my way through it.

Yeah I'm just starting to figure that out. I'm currently reading The Diabetes Code by Dr Jason Fung which is an interesting read. I think I'm going to struggle with a low carb diet as almost everything I eat is carbs! But I'm going to have to from now on. The Freshwell Low Carb Project is a really good site and I'm making my way through it.
If you've got to eat something that you are not sure about I would suggest just eating a smaller amount. If that's doable.

If you've got to eat something that you are not sure about I would suggest just eating a smaller amount. If that's doable.
I follow this approach really. I still eat the stuff I used to eat but significantly less of it and much less frequently. And the frequency is getting less as time goes by.
I find this easier to cope with than super strict rules.

I follow this approach really. I still eat the stuff I used to eat but significantly less of it and much less frequently. And the frequency is getting less as time goes by.
I find this easier to cope with than super strict rules.
The amount of stuff I was eating was a bit ridiculous, to be honest.

Both of those you are reading made so much sense to me and I found it easy to follow the low carb approach and still have a variety of meals, don't feel deprived of anything really.
Knowing what foods are high carb is essential and I found the book, there is also an app, Carbs and Cals really useful, it was and still is my bible, easy to see portion sizes but some kitchen scales so you can weigh portions as it is easy to underestimate at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back