just been out for a meal with friends..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shevicks

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
As I am new to this, and feeling a little lost, I thought I would ask one of those silly questions you said you didn't mind! I have been out for a meal this evening. I had goats cheese and olive tapenade for starter followed by ribeye steak in brandy and mustard sauce served with potatoes and veg (although, I hardly ate any potato at all). I only drank water (driving) and turned down the delicious puddings on offer.

Out of interested I tested at 1 hour and my result was 5.4, at 2 hours it was then 5.3. When I got home, I could not resist a small bar of 85% chocolate. I have tested again an hour later and it has not had any effect on the result at all.

I did expect to have different results. I was not sure about the cheese at all and the chocolate. Can anybody explain as these are some of the lowest results I have had, and I have eaten like a King??? :confused:

Thank you for the lovely welcome yesterday. xx

Sounds great!!! The food sounds yummy and your results are marvelous. I think this restuarant should open in a town near me!

Seriously, are you on any medication? Did you take it after the meal? Your meal doesn't sound spectacularly sugary or carby (especially since you avoided the spuds) and at 85% the chocolate doesn't sound that bad either. Without sugars or carbs your blood sugar will only increase very slowly, so your insulin production and use was able to keep up with processing your dinner. I guess you just got it right, congratulations! Nice one. I woundn't worry if everything is going smoothly (coz worry will put your blood sugar up).

Rachel

Are you on any medication, Shevicks?

In any event, there didn't sound to be much in the way of carbohydrates in that meal.

Also, any fat in the meal tends to slow down the release of glucose into the blood.

Andy

p.s. Ah! I see that Rachel got there ahead of me!

Thank you for your quick replies! The doctor advised that I immediately go on Metformin. I had previously been prescribed it for POCS, but only took it for a short time as it made me feel sick all of the time, although I did have several attempts to take them.

She has now prescribed the SR, and I take 4x500g per day and have been on them for 2 weeks. They do not make me feel sick, but I have become very good friends with my loo!! I am surprised that they have put me on what seems to the the maximum dose straight away.

I took 2 of the tables right after I had finished eating. I am glad that I seem to have made good choices whilst on my evening out. Thanks again. xx

Hi Shevicks, just want to echo what the others have said - good food choices, and your levels match those of a non-diabetic person which is what we'd all love to achieve! 🙂

Those are the same meal choices that I would have made in the same situation. Nothing carby at all in what you had and unsuprisingly little effect on your BS. Even better, you finished satisfied and felt you ate like a king - that's a good result in my book. Like you, I might have had a little of the potatoes in a mixed meal and not worried about it. If your meter says ok, then it's ok.

I would not have been brave enough to have eaten a whole bar of choc, even 85% cocoa, but to be fair 85% choc doesn't have that much carb/sugar and the fat will slow absorption. I will indulge in a square of two with no effect on my BS.

I also avoid delicious puddings, but will often have the cheese board, even with carby biscuits, and find that as a small part of a larger meal, it doesn't seem to have much, if any effect, on my BS.

Im hungry now!!

Thank you for the further comments. I am hungry again now just reading about what I had last night. Sadly tonight I ate like a pauper rather than a King!

Just wanted to add that it was a tiny bar of chocolate!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back