Just a quickie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Since Easter and some fabulous tips I've received here, I have found myself through my week pattern, dropping my basal by two units at the weekend so I can do gardening and bar work in the evening. Basically now we're out of winter and getting out I'm more active at the weekends. So my question is this:
If Ive dropped my basal by two units Saturday morning, can I put my basal back up by two on the Monday when I e slowed down completely and sat at my desk nearly all day or do I need to raise it 1 unit at a time. ?

It’s your diabetes, you can change your basal by as much or as little as you like, at any time.

The great benefit of Levemir is that you get real time adjustment, so whilst some longer acting basal insulins need 3 days to see the full benefit of any adjustment, ad you would therefore be advised not to adjust it again within that 3 day period, Levemir will allow you to change it on a day by day basis if necessary because each dose doesn't usually last beyond 16hours. I regularly adjust mine day on day when necessary either up or down. You will eventually develop a gut instinct for what you need to do. Of course you won't get it right all the time but that is the nature of diabetes and you can learn some useful lessons from the times you get it wrong, so don't be frightened to experiment (with one eye firmly on safety) because as @Lucyr says, "It is your diabetes" and insulin and Libre are your tools, so find the ways to use them to best manage your BG for your lifestyle.

Thank you Ladies, well having seen the pattern over the last few weeks my gut instinct is that I can raise it back up to where I left off as every Monday I've ended up not being able to come back down into the green and where I started from all day.

Hope the dose changes work well for you @gillrogers

Levemir does seem to be more flexible and responsive like that. Fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back