Juice Juicer - pretty bad spike

notmez

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Been wanting a juicer for ages and decided F it and finally got one.

I made what I thought was a pretty normal juice but I did put a little more fruit in it than I would normally have. Just before lunch my bg test is usually 4-5 but with the juice it was still mid high 6.

I get that juicers and juicing is going to remove some of the fiber and makes the sugars easier to get in to my system but was still surprised.

I've tried a couple of juices and the most of them seem pretty bad but I've managed one very green juice which tasted great and didn't cause me any problems, just need to remember what I put in it. It was kale spinach ginger celery and a bunch of other stuff that I don't remember because I was emptying out the fridge.

On another note I was full on the juice for breakfast for a lot longer than most other days, snacking a lot less during the morning too.

Anyone else tried juice that doesn't give them any spikes or problems.

Most juice will spike bg fast, it’s why its often used to treat low blood sugars

Yeah I noticed after the first couple which included fruit as well as veg, this mornings drink which was mainly greens and veg, no carrots or apples this time didn't give me any issues.

I guess I'll just need to try a few combinations and see what has the least impact.

It sounds like you are talking about a smoothie maker ie. a very fast blender that blitzes fruit and veg, rather than a juicer that sort of squeezes or presses them, or am I misunderstanding?

Fructose. Even with any fibre incorporated can be quick & hard hitting on the BG level jump. They call fructose “natural” but can have the same effect as Coca Cola?

smoothie maker
No, 100% a juicer. I've got a blender and a smoothie maker which I don't use much mostly used by my oh.

This is a juicer, used to use a centrifugal one when I was a student but this new one is the cold press slow type.

Fructose. Even with any fibre incorporated can be quick & hard hitting on the BG level jump. They call fructose “natural” but can have the same effect as Coca Cola?
I'm just going to keep testing as I juice stuff. If the spikes are too much I'll stop or work out how to incorporate it in with other forms of breakfast instead of just that for breakfast.

I'm just going to keep testing as I juice stuff. If the spikes are too much I'll stop or work out how to incorporate it in with other forms of breakfast instead of just that for breakfast.
How long does your bg take to return to with two points of starting?

You can add back some of the fibre to the juice. You can also use the juice like a soup base and add some chopped fruit, seeds and nuts to the bowl. The fat should soften the rise, but extend the 'come down'. It depends what/who you believe, and how you're personally affected, as to which of those situations is more ideal.

Edited to add: You can also drink the juice along with other meals, although fruit is perhaps best had on an empty stomach and on its own.

This morning I had celery spinach kale and ginger.and not.much of it. It was about a triple shots worth so not a lot but the ginger kick in the morning is really nice and I drink way less squash and coffee because of it.

Had the drink today with my normal breakfast

I was
7 wake-up
6.3 before breakfast
7.2 1 hour
5.9 2 hours.

5.4 before lunch ( another thread but the edamame noodles were really good.) thanks - @Leadinglights
6.4 before dinner

Overall happy with that for me, previous days juice included fruit and I didn't have breakfast, the juice was my breakfast.

This seems more sustainable, smaller shot of juice massive kick of ginger, along with my normal breakfast and no need for any coffee or snacks in the morning

Only a small snack mid afternoon.

I'm not surprised that the juice raised your blood sugar. Juicing can concentrate the sugars in fruits and vegetables. That's why it's important to be mindful of how much juice you drink and to choose fruits and vegetables with a low sugar content. I've had good luck with green juices made with leafy greens, celery, and cucumber. These vegetables have a low sugar content and can help to stabilize your blood sugar.

Back