Joe Solowiejczyk

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiv

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
hi all

last night i went to a workshop/talk given by Joe Solowiejczyk, an American DSN/family therapist.

he was there to discuss teens with diabetes, and taking the 'family approach' to it. he was a lot of fun to watch, and even gave out cash prizes to kids who answered questions! guess i look younger than 18 as i won ?2 off him 😱:D

it was great to meet the families there, i spoke to one family in particular. it was their daughter who had type 1, and i spent a while showing her my Contour USB and the pencil case i keep my kit in (even her parents asked me to show them what i keep in it!). her parents said they have real trouble keeping her levels under control, and that she didn't want to talk about it/deal with it. i showed them the Contour USB and did a test, i got a 9 and said "hmm, a little high" to which they replied "we'd love to see 9s - we're normally above 20".

long story short, after the talk her mum came up to me and said "you've really inspired her, we're going to get her a contour usb, thankyou!" which nearly had me in tears. Joe was also kind enough to let me add my blog to his contact details on the projector screen!

if you ever get a chance to go and see him speak (even if it's about something not relating directly to you!) then GO! he is wonderfully funny, straight talking and very approachable.

Thanks for letting us know how it went Shiv, glad it worked out so well! 🙂

Sounds like everyone got quite a lot from the talk and were able to help each other too. This sounds really great, inspiring even...

Wow - sounds like you had a great time - so glad you made the effort to go Shiv. Sounds like you have had an impact on a young person too - so well done!🙂Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back