Jelly babies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fe 82

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Can I just say thanks to Northener for suggesting jelly babies as an alternative to sugar tablets. After seeing you mention these intermitently since i joined this site, I purchased a bag to test out this methodology. This morning the perfect occasion arose as I awoke to a level of 2.9...Not wanting lucozade so early in the day, I reached for 3 jelly babies of 4.8g carbs each, which took me to a level of 5.4 10 mins later. Result! Breakfast could then be consumed in the harmony of insulin-carbohydrate equilibrium.
Thanks to Northener and to the heavenly gift that is the Jelly Baby.
x

You're welcome Fe! Who would have thought that medicine could taste so good?🙂

Jelly Babies are good Fe, but one piece of advice...

Do not keep them in a round tin that they sell hard boiled sweets in, then put the tin on its side in your glove box during the hottest week if the year. I went to open it up as I needed some, I couldn't open the tin, they had all melted and congeeled into I mass and as such sealed the tin. Took me several days to open the tin! Melted jelly babies goo! Still tasty tho!

Jelly beans are safer in the car I'm hoping as they have a harder outside surface/crust!

Dolly mixtures are also pretty good for keeping in tins on car dashboards as long as you remember to take the jelly ones out.

When ever I have sick kids (includes huuby) who have to take horrid medicine, jelly babies, dolly mixtures or jelly beans work a treat, but the rest of the family is not as naturally sweet as me!

Hi All ...

Fruit pastilles are another suggestion ....

Heidi
xx🙂

Hmm the thing is ... I dont understand how you can be hypo and only eat three !! how do you stop yourself from eating a whole bag? :confused: I personally hate Jelly Babies but have had them when hypo and just cant stop eating them 😱

I'm like that with fruit jellies, the whole bag or none at all...

Hehehehehe .... Pick N Mix for me .... :D .....

Heidi
xx🙂

Wine gums are definitely the thing!

To stop myself from eating anymore, im thinking of dividing up the jelly baby bag into 10 smaller ones, keep them at home and just have one of those ten with me at a time...self-control works better if its planned, i find!
x

To stop myself from eating anymore, im thinking of dividing up the jelly baby bag into 10 smaller ones, keep them at home and just have one of those ten with me at a time...self-control works better if its planned, i find!
x

Good idea Fe 🙂 I never want to eat more than 2 gluco tabs but its different with sweets , I just keep going lol 😱

My son now uses jelly babies for hypos. I have to confess to pinching the odd one! 😱

I was never tempted by the Dextrose tablets! 🙂

I agree about dividing up jelly babies etc into portions. A load of tiny ziplock plastic bags (about 5cm square compartments) were being thrown away at work (human nutrition unit!) and I took them for recycling / reuse - each one holds about 10g carbohydrate equivalent of sweets, whether jelly babies, midger gems, cola jelly bottles or dolly mixtures.

Last edited:
I agree about dividing up jelly babies etc into portions. A load of tiny ziplock plastic bags (about 5cm square compartments) were being thrown away at work (human nutrition unit!) and I took them for recycling / reuse - each one holds about 10g carbohydrate equivalent of sweets, whether jelly babies, midger gems, cola jelly bottles or dolly mixtures.

Good idea.

I currently use bank bags -I discovered if you ask nicely you can get nice clean new ones - and find them great for extra insulin, needles, lancets etc. as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back