Jelly babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnS

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I normally get my jelly babies from Aldi as they are cheaper but they haven't had any for ages. Any other suggestions? I know the jelly babies work well for me . Are there other Aldi alternatives?

Lidl haven't had any of their JBs for ages either and I have had to resort to buying the real deal Maynards/Bassetts in my local village shop. I did get some Asda own brand ones which were cheap a couple of months ago and I liked those better than the originals but I don't have an Asda close enough to make a trip for JBs worthwhile.

I have tried other sweets like fizzy worms and cola bottles and once I tried licorice allsorts but I can't be as disciplined with any of those as I can with JBs and if I am not disciplined a whole packet can be gone before I pause for breath, so for me it is worth spending the extra pennies to get branded JBs when I have to. They are only £1 in the village shop for Bassetts so I can't really complain.

I normally get my jelly babies from Aldi as they are cheaper but they haven't had any for ages. Any other suggestions? I know the jelly babies work well for me . Are there other Aldi alternatives?
I picked up Haribo Jelly Bunnies from Aldi yesterday, they were 99p for a 160g bag. They were in the middle aisle with other Easter products. I haven't examined Aldi's general sweet aisle (since I don't need hypo treatments, I got the jelly bunnies for use in decorating cakes) so not sure if they carry anything useful cheaper at present

I picked up Haribo Jelly Bunnies from Aldi yesterday, they were 99p for a 160g bag. They were in the middle aisle with other Easter products. I haven't examined Aldi's general sweet aisle (since I don't need hypo treatments, I got the jelly bunnies for use in decorating cakes) so not sure if they carry anything useful cheaper at present
Somebody mentioned on the television that Jelly babies used to be called Peace babies as they were launched to celebrate the end of WW1 in 1918, they had previous been called Unclaimed babies but ingredients were hard to get in 1953 so they were discontinued and then reintroduced as Jelly Babies.
Everybody assumes the coating is icing sugar but apparently it is starch used to stop them sticking together.

I buy mine from Amazon. At £6.20 per 1 Kg they are a bit dear but veey effective and always available unlike Tesco etc

I buy mine from Amazon. At £6.20 per 1 Kg they are a bit dear but veey effective and always available unlike Tesco etc
For a while I bought dextrose tablets from Amazon (I think in units of 50x6 or something because it worked out much cheaper than buying them at a pharmacy). Nowadays I just buy jelly babies or whatever in whatever shop seems convenient. Currently Skittles are 99p for 152g in Tesco (some kind of price match they're doing) so that's what I'm using.

Why not buy Dextrose tablets from any chemist/supermarket? 100% glucose, small pack and easy to carry.

Bassets or nothing, harribo are yuck. Tried torpedoes, don't get pocket lint stuck to them, higher sugar content, but take ages to digest :,(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back