JDRF - Win a prize and find a cure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Well, the Great South Run is just over a week away now! I missed a lot of training in September due to an injury I picked up at the beginning of the month, but I seem to be OK again now (touch wood!) and am confident of getting round ? although it is unlikely I will win this year?! It?s not too late if you would like to sponsor me ? many thanks to those who have already done so! I?m still a little way off my target so any contribution, however small, will be very much appreciated.

Here's the competition!

• Sponsor me for 50p or more to enter. Those who have already sponsored me can have a go straightaway!
  • Guess my finishing blood glucose level. I have no idea what this might be, as so much depends on the day. Hopefully, it will not be TOO high or TOO low!
  • As there are likely to be some duplicate guesses, the tie-breaker will be to guess my finish time in hours:minute:seconds - the closest will then win!

The prizes will be:

• First: A copy of 'The Discovery of Insulin' by Michael Bliss - a 'must-read' for anyone with diabetes, or caring for someone with it.
  • Second and third: A personalised poem written by me on the subject of your choice - can be for you, or someone's birthday - whatever you want!

To enter, sponsor me at http://www.justgiving.com/NorthernerJDRF/ then post your guesses here!

My finish time last year was just over two hours, to give you an idea, but I hope to do better than that this year🙂

discovery.jpg

* bump *

Only 4 days to go now! Looks like the weather will be poor - wet and windy, no doubt especially windy on the final two miles along the seafront :(

The good news is that my sponsorship total currently stands at ?607, with a further ?135 in gift aid! Hurrah!:D

Many thanks to all who have sponsored me - this is twice what I raised for DUK last year. It's not too late for anyone else to sponsor me and put that little extra spring in my step - just click on the link in my signature.🙂

Hi Northerner !! GOOD LUCK !! for the run , I hope it all goes well for you ! we're all soooo proud of you for doing this ! :D:D:D:D

Hi Northerner !! GOOD LUCK !! for the run , I hope it all goes well for you ! we're all soooo proud of you for doing this ! :

A.M. - so nice to see you posting again! You have been missed. Have you heard from Heidi? Hope she is ok. Northerner, wishing you a good run!🙂Bev x

A.M. - so nice to see you posting again! You have been missed. Have you heard from Heidi? Hope she is ok. Northerner, wishing you a good run!🙂Bev x

Hi Bev :DThank you , I've been really busy with work /travelling and havent had the time to post until now . It's good to be back. No I've not heard from Heidi :confused: isn't she back yet????? I'll text her and she how things are with them both. I'll let you know when I find out ok. xx

And the winner is...Mand!

Mand and Tez correctly predicted that my blood sugar at the end of the race would be 4.8, but Mand was closer with the tie-breaker finish time. My official finish time was 1:59:48, so I just managed to break two hours!

Slow, but faster than last year and it was very hot and sunny which slowed me down a bit. I was the 509th 51 year old man home, which sounds better than 11,863rd overall! There were a few thousand behind me though!

In second place was Tez and in third place Rossi_Mac with a guess of 4.9.

So Mand wins the book and the two runners-up get a poem. If there is any particular subject you'd like the poem to be about I'll try my best to incorporate it!

I've written a (fairly long!) report about the experience on my blog:

http://diabetespoetry.blogspot.com/2009/10/great-south-run-2009.html

In total, including Gift Aid, we will have raised ?750-?800 for JDRF which is nothing short of brilliant! Well done everyone and thank you for your support - it really helped me round!:D

Northe!! you should have popped a glucose tablet towards the end for me, grr :D

Well done mand! and the others x

well done Mand Tez and Rossi

and great amount raised well done Northe

youre_a_star_teachers_reward_sticke.jpg

Well done Northerner, fab time and great BG levels! Well done on all the money raised too.

Woop woo Well done Mand, Tez and little old meeee:D😛

Oh and well done Northe' for doing the darn thing!:D

Just having some tea and JB's will get back to you about a subject!

Just returned from holiday!

I won? Gosh! What a lovely surprise to return home to!

Well done, Northerner, on the success of your run and the funds you raised! What a star you are!

Well done Tez and Rossi-Mac too!

🙂🙂

welcome back Mand xx

always nice to come bk to a win eh lol x

Thanks Steff! Can't say it happens often! Hope you are keeping well. xx 🙂

Well done mand!

Well done northener too, my step brother ran it (for fun????) what a waste- he too should have done it for the JDRF! What a great cause. Great time as well N, you must be so pleased.

(I dont know what time my bro did it in. He has got massive sticking out ears so I guess that would have slowed him right down.....)

Well done mand!

Well done northener too, my step brother ran it (for fun????) what a waste- he too should have done it for the JDRF! What a great cause. Great time as well N, you must be so pleased.

(I dont know what time my bro did it in. He has got massive sticking out ears so I guess that would have slowed him right down.....)

Sometimes it's nice to run without the pressure of expectations - I very much doubt if my friends would cough up for every event I do! If you want to find out your brother's time you can enter his name (or number, if you know it)here:

http://raceresults.greatrun.org/?race=140

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back