JDRF highlights risky type 1 diabetes advice in Daily Mail article

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Published today, a Daily Mail article on Medical Detection Dogs includes risky advice on how people living with type 1 diabetes should manage their condition.

The article ‘doggy doctors who save their owners’ lives every day’ includes a quote from a doctor saying that for people living with type 1 diabetes and using this service, “you can throw away your blood-testing meter now.”

Sarah Johnson, Director of Policy and Communications at JDRF, said: “For the 400,000 people in the UK living with type 1 diabetes – 29,000 of which children – this is wrong advice to give.

https://www.jdrf.org.uk/news/latest...-type-1-diabetes-advice-in-daily-mail-article

Typical of the Fail! 🙄

The article ‘doggy doctors who save their owners’ lives every day’ includes a quote from a doctor saying that for people living with type 1 diabetes and using this service, “you can throw away your blood-testing meter now.”

I bet the DVLA will love that one. 😱

To be fair it's not the Mail's fault. It's a quote from someone with type 2 quoting what their doctor said to them so it's probably the doctor who needs censuring, rather than the paper.

To be honest I'd be more worried about the use of 'brittle' diabetes and 'severe' Type 2, none of which were picked up on by JDRF.

I thought we'd seen the end of the term 'brittle' - brittle my RRRRs - badly managed is what that says!

I thought we'd seen the end of the term 'brittle' - brittle my RRRRs - badly managed is what that says!

It can also mean a bad reaction to the insulin being used. When I was tried on different insulin's I used to go from 0 - 30 within an hour and back down again.

Well - that still isn't the diabetes itself that causes it Sue, is it?

It's something 'else' going on in your body - like eg one person being allergic to shellfish and another allergic to nuts. Once they find those people a shellfish or nut free insulin - the diabetes behaves itself as per normal.

(not that either have anything to do with insulin or diabetes, but they might with some drug for some thing)

Not if you have gastroparesis TW🙂

Well - that still isn't the diabetes itself that causes it Sue, is it?

It's something 'else' going on in your body - like eg one person being allergic to shellfish and another allergic to nuts. Once they find those people a shellfish or nut free insulin - the diabetes behaves itself as per normal.

(not that either have anything to do with insulin or diabetes, but they might with some drug for some thing)

Slight problem TW, not many Drs will check or even suspect if the insulin it's self is causing the problem. Very few even know there is an alternative to try even if they did suspect the insulin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back