Jardiance ??

Lakelad

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi, my Doctor has put me on a medication called Jardiance, and i was wondering if anyone has been put on this medication and how did they feel. I have yet to take Jardiance which i received 2 days ago, so any info would be appreciated, thank you.

Welcome @Lakelad !
Probably worth a read of the possible side-effects of empagliflozin as described on the NHS website.
Other than that, hope that the medicine does what it's supposed to do!
I've been on it for several months without noticeable problems, but I take so many other medicines that it's difficult to tie down which medicine is having which effect!

I do think it is very confusing that the same medication has multiple names depending on the brand, not just diabetic meds but lots of others as well.

I do think it is very confusing that the same medication has multiple names depending on the brand, not just diabetic meds but lots of others as well.
The "multiple names" usually amount to just two:
  • the name given by the original manufacturer, when the medicine is still in patent - medicine name starts with a Capital letter
  • the generic name, after the medicine is out of patent, or when just generally referred to - medicine name is all lower-case
Hence Nurofen and ibuprofen.

I've been on 10mg a day of Empagliflozin (Jardiance) for just over 12 months now and have had no problems.

I find it has much less side effects than Metformin (which I'm also on), as it doesn't affect the stomach in the same way.

I've managed to lose quite a bit of weight, and my HbA1c dropped from 52 to 46 in 6 months. Metformin wasn't touching the HbA1c at all, so gone from 3 month reviews to annual checks.

One key rule of thumb is to drink plenty; the guideline is a minimum of 2 litres of sugar free fluids a day. The reason for this is that it encourages the kidneys to pass excess sugar out through urine (peeing it out). Consequently, if you have a carb heavy day (or carbs that you don't tolerate well), you will find yourself in the loo quite often. But if you get everything in balance, you shouldn't notice it too much.

The other thing is that you need to keep scrupulously clean down below, as sugar can cause a build up of bacteria and cause a UTI (more common in us ladies).

The other rule is that you must eat carbs - if you eat too little, you can risk DKA (more below)

Make sure you keep some Ketostix in the house too to test for ketones if you're not well; if you get dehydrated, get a tummy bug, or don't eat enough carbs, then you risk Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA - caused by high ketones) which can be serious. General advice is to stop taking them if you're not well, and restart 48 hours after you're back eating and drinking as normal.

In short, if you follow the guidance, drink plenty and make sure you don't cut carbs too far, then you won't have any problems.

I've been on 10mg a day of Empagliflozin (Jardiance) for just over 12 months now and have had no problems.

I find it has much less side effects than Metformin (which I'm also on), as it doesn't affect the stomach in the same way.

I've managed to lose quite a bit of weight, and my HbA1c dropped from 52 to 46 in 6 months. Metformin wasn't touching the HbA1c at all, so gone from 3 month reviews to annual checks.

One key rule of thumb is to drink plenty; the guideline is a minimum of 2 litres of sugar free fluids a day. The reason for this is that it encourages the kidneys to pass excess sugar out through urine (peeing it out). Consequently, if you have a carb heavy day (or carbs that you don't tolerate well), you will find yourself in the loo quite often. But if you get everything in balance, you shouldn't notice it too much.

The other thing is that you need to keep scrupulously clean down below, as sugar can cause a build up of bacteria and cause a UTI (more common in us ladies).

The other rule is that you must eat carbs - if you eat too little, you can risk DKA (more below)

Make sure you keep some Ketostix in the house too to test for ketones if you're not well; if you get dehydrated, get a tummy bug, or don't eat enough carbs, then you risk Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA - caused by high ketones) which can be serious. General advice is to stop taking them if you're not well, and restart 48 hours after you're back eating and drinking as normal.

In short, if you follow the guidance, drink plenty and make sure you don't cut carbs too far, then you won't have any problems.
Thank you for the advice and information, its so appreciated, will start the Jardiance in the morning first thing. Thank you.

Back