Jardiance side effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nielh123

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I started jardiance 5 days ago after failing to get my hba1c down without meds. They couldn't give me metformin as I'm a long term alcoholic ( no judgement please, if you haven't been there etc) and seemingly it doesn't interact well with alcohol, so Jardiance it is. Today I took unwell in the afternoon, light headedness, abdominal pain, acute tiredness (no, I hadn't been drinking lol). Within hours I'd developed an insatiable thirst, kept trying to drink water but that just resulted in projectile vomiting! Had acute diarrhea every 15 minutes for the past few hours. I'm sure it's just a bug but what with the new med and the recent bad hba1c results coupled with my limited knowledge of the disease, and my anxiety issues,I can't help but be paranoid. I phoned NHS24 and I'm now even more concerned as they want to send transport to get me to hospital in the next hour or so.

I’m not sure about your meds as I havnt heard of that one but metformin certainly can produce those effects with varying severity so maybe this one is similar. Please don’t worry about being judged I personally havnt witnessed any of that on this board (maybe a telling off for saying something stupid or irresponsible) please let us know you are ok when you can, I really hope your tummy has settled. You say you have limited knowledge of diabetes, there is literally nothing that someone here won’t know, and they always want to help. Some spend vast amounts of time posting to help people exactly like you and I, and all the other newbies, under informed and anxious. Really hope you are ok

I am so sorry to hear of your symptoms. It must be very worrying. Getting you to the hospital is probably the best thing as there they can do assessments and help you better.

I do hope it all gets sorted out quickly for you.

As you say it could just be a bug. Best to get the help and to make sure.

Good luck and all the best.

Let us know how you get on please

Hi @Nielh123

I'm sorry to hear how poorly you're feeling- I hope things settle for you and you get some help,

These are previous posts about Jardiance (brand name) & Empagliflozin (generic name) I hope there's some relevant comments about side effects to help you.

This is from the Diabetes UK site about the drug Jardiance and how it works

It does advise seeking help if you get any of the side effects. I hope things improve for you.

Are you following a low carb or Keto diet? There are warnings about not mixing keto diets and any of the Jardiance type drugs, referred to here..
I also heard a warning on a video with a dietician I was watching, produced by Abbott, recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back